This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop effects give me completely black windows if I open too many

When I open more than about five windows, the fifth and subsequent windows are completely black. If I resize a black window smaller, sometimes the contents will show. If I close another window and resize a black window, the contents will come back.

Disabling desktop effects 'fixes' the issue, but of course I don't get any desktop effects. Are there any other ways around this?

I have an HP dv9700 laptop.

Re: Desktop effects give me completely black windows if I open too many

Bump

Comment

It sounds like running out of video memory. I'm kinda guessing -- I haven't seen it myself, and haven't seen a similar post. If I'm right, everyone with the exact same model laptop will see the same problem.

You might try twiddling the window decorations, and see if one of the older ones, like "plastik", is easier on the video memory. You definitely don't want the glow and extra effects like that, if the problem is memory.

Comment

Hi
        I keep a lot of windows open, usually four or five, have desktop effects running full bore, cube and rotation etc. and have never observed that. Just as a test of the system, I also am running compiz in a cube face and although I don't have double rendering going, there is only a minor flicker.

So as a test I opened ten windows and did various things in them and they all worked ok, including the face with compiz running.

So, as dlbl said it might be a video memory thing.

For you to have a comparison, I have an Nvidia 6600 card with 256 mb of onboard memory and 2gig of main memory and 1.9g gig in swap, with the ten windows open it showed approximately 95 percent of swap free so the video memory was running the windows. (using Kinfocenter).

woodsmoke

Comment

You can try with resetting kwin to its defaults. See this thread: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3119103.0
          Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Working...
          X