Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, after upgrading, i STILL have to reset alsamixer after each login...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, after upgrading, i STILL have to reset alsamixer after each login...

Why is this? Why doesn't alsa remember my volume settings from one login to the next?

This is probably the dumbest thing about kubuntu (kde?) How did it not get fixed?

Re: So, after upgrading, i STILL have to reset alsamixer after each login...

have you checked in system settings>start up and shut down>session managment and check to see that the button "restore previous session" is ticked ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

yes I have, and it is.

Comment

Have you looked in kmix settings to insure the "restore volume at login" box is ticked?
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Yes, and yes it is checked.

I hadn't looked into the problem in a while, but the last time I did I went through most of the basic stuff.

pretty similar to the problems posted here...
          http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1326487.html

at the bottom of that thread they have a link to a fix at
          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

which states "Note 4: Kubuntu users: Don't follow this guide - PulseAudio isn't used in your distribution."

its an older thread, is that still true?

Comment

Nope - it's not true. That's an old thread.

edit: Check out this bug report, though -

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/805148
            -- anais nin

Comment

i hadn't tried that yet, but alas, didn't help.

pretty much matches my problem though.

Comment

Originally posted by jwebster8
                i hadn't tried that yet, but alas, didn't help.

pretty much matches my problem though.
                Just for grins, what about creating a new user and seeing if that user has the same problem - that'd tell you whether it was a system problem or a profile problem.

If it's a system problem maybe purging and reinstalling alsamixer might help.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Good idea. I tried a new user and the problem wasn't there - sound settings were save on reentry

So that narrows it down a bit...

Comment

Good idea. I tried a new user and the problem wasn't there - sound settings were save on reentry

So that narrows it down a bit...
                    Guessing, but you might look at ~/.kde/share/config/kmixrc and kmixctrlrc

Might be worth looking at permissions on the files as well.

edit: Did a little more research and kmixctrl is responsible for saving and loading kmix settings. You might try renaming kmixctrlrc and restarting KDE - a new file should be created. Check it out -

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...mixctrl.1.html
                    -- anais nin

Comment

hey...that worked.

maybe i should start deleting my .kde folder everytime I upgrade

Thanks for the help. I have other annoying things I'll probably bring up in the near future

Comment

hey...that worked.

maybe i should start deleting my .kde folder everytime I upgrade

Thanks for the help. I have other annoying things I'll probably bring up in the near future
                        Glad to be of service

Rather than deleting .kde maybe the thing to do is just rename it after you've booted from the live CD but before you install - that way if there's anything you wanna keep you've still got it.

cheers -
                        -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                        X