X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to go back to 11.04 because 11.10 will not allow pulseaudio removal

Hello.

Just spent 2 days installing and reinstalling 11.10 and 11.04 several times. and in the end had to reinstall 11.04 and am running with that at the moment. The reason being Pulseaudio. It doesn't support my card Turtle Beach Sant Cruz, and of course never will as it is an older card. 11.04 allows me to simply uninstall Pulseaudio from the system with KPackageKit Software Management. But when I do the same with Muon on 11.10 the system gets messed up and I can no longer log into it.
    Anyone know how to get rid of the Pulseaudio in 11.10?

Thanks.
    Rudy

Re: Had to go back to 11.04 because 11.10 will not allow pulseaudio removal

Did you try apt-get or aptitude? (Note: aptitude must be installed first)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio

Code:
    sudo apt-get install aptitude
    Code:
    sudo aptitude remove pulseaudio

Comment

I'd file a bug against pulseaudio as the package appears to be removing libraries that are required for other packages.

wizard@wizard-netbook:~# apt-cache showpkg pulseaudio
      Package: pulseaudio
      Versions:
      1:1.0-0ubuntu3 (/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric_main_bi nary-i386_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
      Description Language: en
      File: /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric_main_i1 8n_Translation-en
      MD5: 15c158aa11824c8a768e4d670919d02d
      Description Language:
      File: /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric_main_bi nary-i386_Packages
      MD5: 15c158aa11824c8a768e4d670919d02d

Reverse Depends:
      indicator-sound-gtk2,pulseaudio
      libcanberra-pulse,pulseaudio
      indicator-sound,pulseaudio
      ubuntustudio-desktop,pulseaudio
      ubuntu-sugar-remix,pulseaudio
      python-x2go,pulseaudio
      projectm-pulseaudio,pulseaudio
      plasma-widget-veromix,pulseaudio
      mpd,pulseaudio
      morse,pulseaudio
      minimodem,pulseaudio
      lives,pulseaudio
      lightspark-common,pulseaudio
      indicator-sound-gtk2,pulseaudio
      gnome-core,pulseaudio
      earcandy,pulseaudio
      arkose,pulseaudio
      ubuntu-desktop,pulseaudio
      speech-dispatcher,pulseaudio
      pulseaudio-module-zeroconf,pulseaudio
      pulseaudio-module-x11,pulseaudio
      pulseaudio-module-raop,pulseaudio
      pulseaudio-module-lirc,pulseaudio
      pulseaudio-module-jack,pulseaudio
      pulseaudio-module-gconf,pulseaudio
      pulseaudio-module-bluetooth,pulseaudio 0.9.14-2
      pulseaudio-module-bluetooth,pulseaudio
      pulseaudio-esound-compat,pulseaudio 0.9.7
      pulseaudio-esound-compat,pulseaudio
      pulseaudio-dbg,pulseaudio 1:1.0-0ubuntu3
      ltsp-client,pulseaudio
      libpulse0,pulseaudio
      libcanberra-pulse,pulseaudio
      kubuntu-desktop,pulseaudio
      indicator-sound,pulseaudio
      gnome-settings-daemon,pulseaudio
      gnome-media,pulseaudio
      Dependencies:
      1:1.0-0ubuntu3 - libasound2 (4 1.0.24.1) libc6 (2 2.9) libdbus-1-3 (2 1.1.1) libltdl7 (2 2.4) libpulse0 (2 1:1.0) libsamplerate0 (0 (null)) libsndfile1 (2 1.0.20) libspeexdsp1 (2 1.2~beta3.2-1) libtdb1 (2 1.2.7+git20101214) libudev0 (2 147) libx11-6 (0 (null)) libx11-xcb1 (0 (null)) adduser (0 (null)) lsb-base (2 3) consolekit (0 (null)) libasound2-plugins (0 (null)) pulseaudio-utils (0 (null)) pavumeter (0 (null)) paman (0 (null)) paprefs (0 (null)) pulseaudio-module-raop (0 (null)) pulseaudio-module-x11 (0 (null)) gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio (0 (null)) pulseaudio-esound-compat (0 (null)) rtkit (0 (null)) libltdl3 (3 1.5.24-1) pulseaudio-module-rygel-media-server (3 1:1.0-0ubuntu3) pulseaudio-module-udev (3 1:1.0-0ubuntu3) libpulse-browse0 (3 1:1.0-0ubuntu3) pulseaudio-module-hal (0 (null)) pulseaudio-module-rygel-media-server (3 1:1.0-0ubuntu3) pulseaudio-module-udev (3 1:1.0-0ubuntu3)
      Provides:
      1:1.0-0ubuntu3 - pulseaudio-module-udev pulseaudio-module-rygel-media-server pulseaudio-module-hal
      Reverse Provides:
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Also,

sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio

*should* remove pulseaudio and leave the dependencies in place. In any case it'll tell you what it wants to remove and will give you the option to bail out if you see something that shouldn't be removed.

On second thought, I'm not sure whether the bug should be filed against pulseaudio or muon
        -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by buzzmandt
          Not sure I'd try aptitude - if it's pulseaudio that's broken aptitude will break his system. aptitude automatically removes dependencies while apt-get doesn't.

Since we don't know whether it's muon or pulseaudio that's broken it'd probably be safer to use apt-get.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Nope went straight with Muon.
            Dang, one more reinstall. Oh well. I think I found some room on another drive in this desktop.

Thanks.
            Rudy

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
              Not sure I'd try aptitude - if it's pulseaudio that's broken aptitude will break his system. aptitude automatically removes dependencies while apt-get doesn't.

Since we don't know whether it's muon or pulseaudio that's broken it'd probably be safer to use apt-get.
              Thanks wizard. I'll steer clear of aptitude and try apt-get. Didn't even occur to me that the uninstall methods will yield different results. Live and learn. I'll try installing 11.10 back onto another drive though and will experiment there with your suggestions. Will report back.

Thanks
              Rudy

P.S. I filed a bug with Pulseaudio a few months back since it didn't work with my card and never heard from them. So am not sure whether filing bugs with that team does anything.

Comment

looks like apt-get should work, here's mine
                Code:
                buzzmandt@buzzmandt-Compaq-Presario-CQ60-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
                [sudo] password for buzzmandt: 
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree    
                Reading state information... Done
                The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                 fonts-horai-umefont ubufox linux-headers-3.0.0-12 linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic
                Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
                The following packages will be REMOVED:
                 libcanberra-pulse pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-x11
                0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 41 not upgraded.
                After this operation, 3,984 kB disk space will be freed.
                Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Comment

I removed pulseaudio using muon and indeed, it removed the entire KDE desktop. Removing it with apt-get leaves everything in place and just gets rid of pulseaudio.

My experiences with Muon have been really, really negative, and I am not planning on using it for the next 6 months of so.

Comment

Originally posted by Xinixs
                    I removed pulseaudio using muon and indeed, it removed the entire KDE desktop. Removing it with apt-get leaves everything in place and just gets rid of pulseaudio.

My experiences with Muon have been really, really negative, and I am not planning on using it for the next 6 months of so.
                    It appears at least in this instance muon isn't respecting dependencies of other applications - I haven't tried it and can't say for sure, but there are several dependencies that flat shouldn't be removed if you uninstall pulseaudio, like libc6 and a couple of x11 libraries.

But - muon's a work in progress. I imagine synaptic or aptitude or even apt had similar teething problems. I have no problem using muon but am watching it pretty carefully. I think muon's got a heck of a lot of potential and I'd really like to have a Qt-based package manager. muon's not where synaptic is yet but I think it can be and I think the developer deserves mad props - I just think maybe we all need to help him develop the thing by filing accurate bug reports when something doesn't go right.
                    -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by Xinixs

Yeah there are clearly growing pains happening here. It seems like installing things work well but uninstalling stuff is quite dicey. Another thing is that Muon will show installed system components like KRandRTray and will actually let you remove/uninstall it from your system even though it will completely hose it.
                      BTW thanks to all of you guys for the apt-get suggestion, it worked for me as well and removed pulseaudio successfully. However, a note for everyone else. I seem to have to remove pulseaudio twice from all of my fresh installs whether 11.04 or 11.10.
                      I think muon's got a heck of a lot of potential and I'd really like to have a Qt-based package manager. muon's not where synaptic is yet but I think it can be and I think the developer deserves mad props - I just think maybe we all need to help him develop the thing by filing accurate bug reports when something doesn't go right.
                      Mad props indeed. He is doing a great job, and with a supportive forum like this one, hopefully things will get more and more polished.

Thanks everyone, you're awesome. Am typing this on a fresh install of 11.10.

Rudy

Comment

.. muon's a work in progress. I imagine synaptic or aptitude or even apt had similar teething problems. I have no problem using muon but am watching it pretty carefully. I think muon's got a heck of a lot of potential and I'd really like to have a Qt-based package manager. muon's not where synaptic is yet but I think it can be and I think the developer deserves mad props - I just think maybe we all need to help him develop the thing by filing accurate bug reports when something doesn't go right.
                        I respect that. But the decision to force it onto users when it clearly is riddled with bugs has been a major error. I do not expect a serious distro to willingly incorporate buggy, unfinished software when there are decent alternatives available. Heck, Kpackagekit worked fine for me.

Comment

Hey y'all,

All sound was gone after installation, log-in sound, Amarok, Flash, etc.

Took a chance and did the "sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio" & all is right again.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X