This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Window title appears stretched vertically

I've just upgraded from Natty to Oneiric. All appears to be working fine except the title bar at the top of each window appears to be stretched vertically, the text is distorted, and the icons are elongated. Also you can only see the minimise, maximise and close buttons when the window is maximised. I've looked at most of the relevant settings and tried setting them to defaults, but nothing seems to fix it. I've attached a screenshot.
    Attached Files

Re: Window title appears stretched vertically

turn off desktop effects. log out log back in .. i'm guessing your using an nvidia card since i have only seen this on those cards (and mostly the "fx" series). if that works and you want effects you might want to try the kubuntu-low-fat-settings package, this enabled me to use effects and have readable window borders. (tried on one machine,with a geforce fx 5500).
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thank you very much, turning off desktop effects has fixed the problem. I tried installing kubuntu-low-fat-settings but that didn't make any difference. I'm not too bothered about desktop effects, though.

For the record, this machine is over 7 years old, it's an AMD Athlon XP2400 CPU with and ATI Radeon 9200SE graphics card. I've upgraded the memory to 2GB, but I'll accept that KDE is probably too much of a load for it.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
        i'm guessing your using an nvidia card since i have only seen this on those cards (and mostly the "fx" series).
        Just wanted to chime in and say that I have the exact same problem and I'm running an ATI card, not the NVIDIA. ATI AIW 8500 with 128M RAM

Rudy

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Window title appears stretched vertically

On further reflection it does seem strange that I had no problems with desktop effects before, nor did I with Oneiric except for the title bar corruption. It's strange that it should affect only that one kind of element, it feels very much like a bug to me.

Comment

try effects but under system settings->desktop effects -> advanced uncheck use opengl2 shaders. im starting to suspect its a lack of shader support ? there must be some common link between these cards. a quick check at the radeonFeature wiki shows the R200 series of radeon (the 9200 is a R280) only support opengl 1.3 in the open source driver and 1.4 on the hardware level. im guessing the rest are lacking opengl 2 shader support as well. be sure to log in and out after setting the setting. so it will fully load the new shader set. good luck all.

Comment

I tried this but it didn't work for me. However, in case the info would be useful I tried changing Compositing Type to XRender instead of OpenGL, and discovered that with this the window title bars are OK even with desktop effects enabled. However I did get a notification message saying these effects could not be enabled: Cover Switch, Desktop Cube, Screenshot, Startup Feedback.

I haven't a clue what any of this means!

Comment

some of the effects need opengl , if xrender works at* a decent speed for you, then you can use it. just never does when i try to use it

edit: forgot the 't' in at.

Comment

Working...
                X