This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

virtualbox

I installed yesterday Kubuntu 11.10 and Windows XP is not working in the virtual box I get the following "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Please install the virtualbox-dkms package and execute 'modprobe vboxdrv' as root" the package is already installed but no working yet. Can someone help me please!
    Thanks in advance, JM

Re: virtualbox

I had this exact same problem with 11.04. It seemed that the VBox kernel driver was being built correctly by the dkms system, but for some reason once compiled it was not being copied to the right location, so the modules were not being loaded.

The solution involved copying the drivers by hand. I don't remember the exact locations but can look it up later if you want. What is strange is that I had to do it again on each kernel upgrade, but at some point it was no longer necessary and kernel upgrades did not affect VBox. My 11.10 upgraded from 11.04 runs VBox without problems.

Comment

It would be great, thanks a lot JM

Comment

This is what is in my system, so take it with a bit of caution: this is all from memory, not from an actual test.

If the failure is the same as what I had, what is missing is the final step of copying the kernel modules to the right location, but the rest should be ok.

Just in case someone is reading this after a new kernel version is released, remember to use the latest kernel version number and your CPU architecture in the folder names. To see which kernel version you are running type the command uname -r in a Konsole prompt. Then issue the command:
        Code:
        sudo cp /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/kernel-3.0.0-12-generic-x86_64/module/* /lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/updates/dkms
        That should put the modules in the right place for the kernel to find them. Now I'm not remembering well, perhaps I did a
        Code:
        sudo depmod -a
        to make the kernel probe the modules. Doing it will not harm anything and takes little time on modern systems.

Then do
        Code:
        sudo service virtualbox restart
        To check if the drivers load correctly and the service does not report errors. Reboot to make sure it's going to work ok.

As I said, after doing this once in 11.04 I had to repeat these steps with each kernel upgrade. At some point it was no longer necessary, and I did not spot a VBox upgrade happening at the same time, but then again my memory is not very good.

Good luck.

Comment

I had a similar error when trying to use Virtual Box, I switched instead to VMware Player and everything worked fine. Not sure what the deal is with Virtual Box.

Comment

Thanks I have installed kernel package from the repositories and everything is working again except USB access. Thanks again JM

Comment

Originally posted by cerdarev
              Thanks I have installed kernel package from the repositories and everything is working again except USB access. Thanks again JM
              For USB support you need to download and install the VirtualBox Extension Pack http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...1.vbox-extpack.

Also add your user to the vboxusers group on your system.

There's a section in the VB User Manual with more information.
              Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Originally posted by barbolani
                I had this exact same problem with 11.04. It seemed that the VBox kernel driver was being built correctly by the dkms system, but for some reason once compiled it was not being copied to the right location, so the modules were not being loaded.

The solution involved copying the drivers by hand. I don't remember the exact locations but can look it up later if you want. What is strange is that I had to do it again on each kernel upgrade, but at some point it was no longer necessary and kernel upgrades did not affect VBox. My 11.10 upgraded from 11.04 runs VBox without problems.
                yeah....virtualbox run in kubuntu ver.11.10 is nice...no problem at all..i'm already have run Ubuntu 11.10 in my Kubuntu used virtualbox without problem..it nice and smooth....

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview...=88&u=11705798

Comment

I'm not using Kubuntu, so my problem may not be the same. I updated from 11.04 to 11.10 using the automatic release upgrade tool and got the following message when I tried running any virtual machines:

VirtualBox - Error in suplibOsInit
                  Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
                  Please install the virtualbox-dkms package and execute 'modprobe vboxdrv' as root
                  What worked for me was removing and reinstalling virtualbox.

Code:
                  $ sudo apt-get remove virtualbox
                  $ sudo apt-get install virtualbox
                  The kernel modules seemed to compile again and my virtual machines ran with no problems. Good luck.

Comment

i think you must reinstall your system with the new fresh upgrade version..not update from software update...it may cause multi system error with the new version system not same like old one...many system file from 11.04 are not used and will be replace with the new...my last kubuntu have the same problem, but i already clean reinstall with the fresh kubuntu 11.10 and now KDE have upgrade 4.7.2..my problem solve...i have run my virtual box again with no problem....

Comment

Working...
                    X