This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success.

Couldn't wait any longer; earlier today the fingers seemingly on their own -- without any overt guidance from the brain supposedly connected to their muscles -- navigated themselves to F12 and covertly issued a do-release-upgrade. Then the stomach, interrupting that brain's admittedly energy-sapped state, made its possessor aware of its emptiness, so I trundled off to the kitchen to roust up a repast.

Returning about 20 minutes later, I'm greeted with the silently, gently flashing cursor awaiting my response to a question: do I want to keep my altered /etc/default/grub? Of course. A flurry of queries held my eyeballs ransom, pestering whether to replace apparently non-obviously erased AppArmor profiles. [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] ... no, silly computer, I don't want any AppArmor stuff. I've already wiped that thing away; don't you understand more profiles won't do anything?

Now the fun begins. A few update-initramfs passes. A couple kernel module builds (DKMS: swoon!) Mmm I loves me some "Running depmod." 15 more minutes elapse and it's time for the big orange switch. I mean, the little black button. The LCD panel goes dark; the fan goes silent...

...electrons rush in: it's a ThinkPhoeadnix! An ocelot arises from the ashes of a narwhal. [I don't believe I've said that before. Ever.] Fast sucker, too: boots in half the time. But...but...what's this? No X to mark your spot? Surely my diligent purging and pruning and decruftifying removed everything that might upset an upgrade, no? startx stumbles over "nvidia" -- a pox on you, xorg.conf! (Note to self: add alias putapoxon=rm to .bashrc) Reboot. Ah, KDM. You don't look so good in those Nouveau lights, but just relax -- restoring your radiance is only an apt-get away, just as soon as your phriend Phonon entones his welcome. Yep, a little typing here, a little clicking there; nurse, would you close please? Gotta pee.

Alrighty...a little more nipping and tucking and you'll be as, er, precise ( ) as I need for now. Let's carve off those unnecessary fonts. How about localepurgeing vocabularies your English-only owner won't understand. Oh, pishaw, those status-concealing pilgrims returned? Well, push out their Plymouth and they'll putter off. Once more, into the rebroocht! [OK, so maybe entwining "breach" and "reboot" is a bit too much, even for me.]

Sing to me, o volkswolf! Oh, wait, where's that Amarok? That's weird. No clue where you went to, but can I woo you to redo? Ah, thank you.

Muon, you certainly aren't lacking for charge here. One favor, though? Open a command window so we can watch behind your back. We're starting to trust you, but our synaptic-wired synapses would rest a little easier if you softly whispered your intentions into our weary ears. Please? For us? We know you want to.

Re: Success.

Awesome read! I haven't upgraded yet, and I estimate that i will not until keeping with the latest shiny new KDE point release forces my hand to do so. And yes, +1 for Muon. It sure has come a long way. KPacka...what was his name again?
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Nicely written SteveRiley, your word for today "repas" (French for a meal IIRC).

Roust is a new one on me.

I'll be trying the upgrade tomorrow I think, hope it goes as poetically as yours did.

Comment

Yes a good read!

Comment

Steve, you're moving into woodwithapoeticlicensesmoke territory!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
            Steve, you're moving into woodwithapoeticlicensesmoke territory!
            Well, there's one difference, you see.

I'd have to abandon those long rambling paragraphs...

...and exchange them for sentences separated by blank lines....

.............with lots of periods................

But hey, I'll take that as a compliment, oshunluvr!

Comment

Simply awesome. And an enjoyable read.

Comment

A fabulous read, I MUST say! 8)

Have you ever thought of writing a book?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

LOL!

While the (now rather small) royalty checks still appear six years after the publication of my first book, I'm not sure I'll do that again. It took an entire year, which is a lot of time.

However, in August a book was released in which I contributed one of the chapters. Auditing Cloud Computing is a joint effort; my part is Chapter 4: "System and Infrastructure Lifecycle Management for the Cloud."

Comment

Well, what do you know! I followed your link to Amazon and picked the "Look Inside" option. After viewing all the others I clicked on "Surprise Me!", and I got a surprise!
                    http://ubuntuone.com/6u5wGZ8pWlHH9yrTsvPKIR

[img width=400 height=225]http://ubuntuone.com/6u5wGZ8pWlHH9yrTsvPKIR[/img]
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hm, now why does that text look so familiar

Comment

Well, at least it's good to know all that wonderful prose-like verbosity isn't wasted solely on us forum trolls...

Please Read Me

Comment

Waste? Nah. I like to write, and KFN has become an important outlet for that. People have mentioned that I should put this stuff in a blog instead, but I think that would have less impact. And all y'alls here are so much fun anyways!

Comment

Working...
                          X