This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Networking Performance Is Slow And Highly Inconsistent

I've just installed Kubuntu, and have very slow network performance (took ~10 minutes to download a 20MiB file) which often stops altogether for extended periods before restarting. How should I go about troubleshooting this?

If it matters, I'm using a wired network interface via DHCP and my network interface is a Realtek RTL8111E

Re: Networking Performance Is Slow And Highly Inconsistent

Issue resolved after I was advised in IRC to edit /etc/network/interfaces and have eth0 configured automatically rather than via the network manager.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Networking Performance Is Slow And Highly Inconsistent

Thanks for reporting back. Apparently, KNetworkManager continues to be a major source of trouble.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by YawningAngel
        Issue resolved after I was advised in IRC to edit /etc/network/interfaces and have eth0 configured automatically rather than via the network manager.
        What change did you make?

Originally posted by oshunluvr
        Thanks for reporting back. Apparently, KNetworkManager continues to be a major source of trouble.
        This is so random. KNetworkManager has always worked quite nicely for me. I wonder why its behavior seems so variable?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
          This is so random. KNetworkManager has always worked quite nicely for me. I wonder why its behavior seems so variable?
          Same here. I can't recall ever having a problem with it, but apparently lots of others do.
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

In the interest of full disclosure - for me, it's really a question of lack of functionality. I use port aggregation (aka bonding) so manual configuration is a requirement. Although, IMO the configuration could easily be done through a GUI interface. It's really pretty straight forward.

In the past, KnetworkManager fails to work by default on my system because both ethernet ports are connected to a switch and it doesn't handle that properly.

In my past experience both personal and in the forum KNetworkManager fails in most cases on wireless management. I have automatically switched to WICD on all my computers until 11.04, which works on one of my laptops, but not on the other.

Please Read Me

Comment

I used the instructions on the page at http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/setting...terfaces-file/

Comment

Working...
              X