This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNS problems solved

I was hooked on Kubuntu about a year ago with Lucid. It worked great and the internet was the best. Searches and pages loaded fast, and much faster than on my dual boot WinXP installation. Then about six months ago I upgraded to Maverick and I thought I had stepped back in time about 10 years. Internet was at a crawl. I use Google Chrome and when I hit a hyperlink it would just stall on "sending request" and sit there for maybe 30-40 seconds before doing anything. Some of the symptoms were:
    • slow response
    • some pages would load in text only with no active content
    • often images would not load
    • Facebook always slow to load
    • Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED), and this was all too common

Since then I have upgraded to Natty and Oneric, with mostly the same results.

I fussed about it on Facebook and did a lot of internet searching, thinking all along there was a problem with Kubuntu or Chrome. One option was to try Firefox. While it may have behaved a little better, the difference was negligible. I tried a number of tweaks to Chrome, Firefox, and several tweaks to various Kubuntu conf files, but nothing really helped.

Today I tried something else that finally worked. I checked my router which was set to automatically get its DNS servers from my ISP. One of the IP addresses pointed to my ISP and the IP address was resolved in the browser address bar. However, the secondary IP address was pointing to another website, and the IP address would not resolve to a domain name.

I read an article at http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:O...Search_engines. Section 9.3 speaks about using a DNS service other than the ISP. I tried it and it worked for me. There are a number of DNS servers available. I've tried a couple and settled on DNSAdvantage. I changed my router settings to point to the new DNS server ip addresses, and problem solved.

The only thing I can figure is that at least one of my ISP's DNS servers is screwed up, and it just so happened that they had made some upgrades to their system at about the same time of the release of Maverick. Anyway, it wasn't a Kubuntu problem or a Chrome problem, and I'm a happy camper once again.
Working...
X