This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer Share {SOLVED}

Laptop is running 11.10; desktop is running WinXP. The desktop has a USB printer attached, a HP5550 Deskjet. I was printing fine to it from the laptop in the last version of Kubuntu, then the laptop fried. Bought a new one, installed 11.10, and now I can see the shared folders on the desktop, but not the printer. I have searched all the forums and google without any luck. I get the same results whether I use CUPS or the System Settings app. Seems like before, once I entered the printer name like this: smb://server_name/hpdeskje it worked right away. Now, all and any variations fail. Any thoughts?

Ron

(Forgot to mention that when the laptop is booted into Windows7, the printer shows up and works fine)

10/30/11: Last night I entered the address in detail: smb://share_name/server_nameort/hpdeskje and it connected and all is well. When I look at the settings I see that it dropped the port number (631), but I guess what I needed was the share_name.

Re: Printer Share

smb is samba sharing and is really intended for windows sharing. If you're not using windows there's no need to configure it.

Since the windows machine is hosting the printer, you have to install and configure samba client on your laptop.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
      smb is samba sharing and is really intended for windows sharing. If you're not using windows there's no need to configure it.

Since the windows machine is hosting the printer, you have to install and configure samba client on your laptop.
      Thanks for your reply!

Samba is on the laptop running Kubuntu. I have used both CUPS and Printer Configuration in System Settings, but Kubuntu just doesn't see the shared printer like windows does, over the network. It's odd that it shows the two shared folders but not the printer, and that it worked flawlessly in the prior version of Kubuntu.

Ron

Comment

you can share the printer thru CUPS itself. be sure that the box is checked ,. then on the clients you can click new printer. IPP, give it host hit Queue it should find your printer, again be sure sharing in cups in enabled on the host.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Yes, IPP sharing works easier than samba. In order to share the printer in XP you have to enable it by going to Control Panel>Add Remove Programs>Add Remove Windows Components and check the box by Other Network file and Print Services. After doing that CUPS should be able to see your printer.

Comment

Wow, that's a cool tidbit Detonate. I'll have to file that away for my windows using friends!

Please Read Me

Comment

I know it works in XP, I don't know about Vista or Win7.

Comment

Working...
              X