Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Printing to a shared priter conected to a Windows XP box. Impossible?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing to a shared priter conected to a Windows XP box. Impossible?

I'm trying to set up a shared printer on my Ubuntu-box.
    The printer is a Canon Pixma ip3600 witch is connected to a computer running windoze xp.
    When i try to print something, the job gets sent to the windows machine, and appears as Remote Down-something Job in the print quee.
    At first the job got "stuck" in the print quee, and i had to delete the job to get rid of it again.
    I read that disabling Bi-Directional suport, would fix the problem, but no. Now it seems like the job is geting sent to the printer, as it disapears from the quee afer it's finished spoling, but the printer does nothing. It turns on, but that's prety much it.
    I've also tried to remove the registry key that associates *.spl files with macromedia shockwave, in addition to almost every solution i culd find on the net, but absolutley nothing works!
    Any ideas would be nice

EDIT: And yes, the printer works like normal from the XP-box

what print queue is it stuck in the one on the local machine or the one on the xp machine?
    how did you set up the printer on the linux machine? can you print from any other machines via this shared printer (the host machine doesnt count)?
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I got it working now. This is what i did:

After much research and editing the control files in some package installers, i finally got to install Canon's drivers, as described in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305248&page=1

This time the print jobs did not even got sent to the XP machine, but after resolving some permission issues in the driver (Described later in the same thread Page 6 i think) i finally got it working!
      Just printed my first test page with no problems

Thanks for your input anyways!

Comment

Working...
      X