This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New pc linux will not boot

Ive been using ubuntu/kubuntu for awhile and have never had an issue installing linux untill now I just built a new pc here is the hardware also i took a pic when it stopped during boot Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120212_143754.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	647704

Any ideas??

What version are you booting from? Not just is it Kubuntu 11.10, but is it the live CD? Have you done an md5sum check on the CD?

Does it not even get to the initial screen with the menu "Try Kubuntu" / "Install Kubuntu"?

Do you have any other linux bootable CDs or USB sticks that work?
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Once the computer boots from the disc this is what comes up no matter if its the live cd or the whole dvd version i have both the 11.10 versions of ubuntu and kubuntu both 64bit and 32bit (im running 64bit windows 7 right now) both get the same type of message i have a few different flavors i will try and boot off of and ill run the md5sum check on all disks

Comment

The problem is your GeForce 550ti video device. I know because I have the same card. The newest kernels try to boot the device using a video drive that does not work with this card. You can make it work by editing the boot line to use the nomodeset option. This problem is widespread and is affecting a lot of distros. This is not the only card not supported by the drivers the kernel is trying to load. When you boot using the nomodeset option it will boot in low graphics mode, once you have booted up and installed the distro, when you reboot you will again need to set the nomodeset option. Once you have booted into your new installation, you can now install the proprietary Nvidia driver, then reboot and you will be in business. I have had this problem on several computers now, so I permanently added nomodeset to the boot line in grub on my installation USB drive. Can't do that with a CD/DVD.

The newest kernels have moved the video mode setting into the kernel. So all the programming of the hardware specific clock rates and registers on the video card happen in the kernel rather than in the X driver when the X server starts.. This makes it possible to have high resolution nice looking splash (boot) screens and flicker free transitions from boot splash to login screen. Unfortunately, on some cards this doesnt work properly. Adding the nomodeset parameter instructs the kernel to not load video drivers and use BIOS modes instead until X is loaded.

Comment

Ok Detonate i was thinking it was the video card ty very much but i have one problem i have no idea how to set the nomodeset option on my usb drive wanna give me a quick crash course

Comment

OK, when you first boot to the CD or DVD or USB a menu should appear. Before it starts to boot press the -E- key on your keyboard so that you can edit the boot configuration. On the screen that appears find the line that looks like this.
            linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper quiet splash --

Edit it to look like this.

linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper quiet splash nomodeset--

Yours will be different depending on what distro and version you are using. Only edit the line to add the nomodeset option. Don't change anything else.

Then press the F10 key to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
              OK, when you first boot to the CD or DVD or USB a menu should appear. Before it starts to boot press the -E- key on your keyboard so that you can edit the boot configuration. On the screen that appears find the line that looks like this.
              linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper quiet splash --

Edit it to look like this.

linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper quiet splash nomodeset--

Yours will be different depending on what distro and version you are using. Only edit the line to add the nomodeset option. Don't change anything else.

Then press the F10 key to boot.

Thank you very much worked like a charm

Comment

Working...
              X