This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor backlight won't turn off

Greetings -- Since I've upgraded to 11.10, I've had a devil of a time trying to figure out why my monitor's backlight won't turn off after a period of time like it did under 11.04 (I never had to mess with any of the settings under 11.04 that I recall -- it just worked).

I've messed with Settings --> Power Management, from the command line I've tried setting:

Code:
    xset +dpms
    which changes Energy Star to enabled (which is required for the power saving features to kick in?) but after a few minutes, when I do:

Code:
    xset q
    the DPMS shows up disabled.

So what the heck is changing the settings on their own? And how do I make the backlight turn off after the monitor goes to sleep and thus save power? Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Re: Monitor backlight won't turn off

Maybe see Re: xset's dpms settings change on their own
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You know, I saw that thread. I tried ronw's suggestion (Reply #1) and it seemed like it worked, even after logging off and back on, but then it seemed to revert. The screen blanks, but the backlight will not turn off.

I'll try a few more of the suggestions in that thread, I'm just getting frustated.

I can't understand why it worked just fine under 11.04 and now I'm having to mess with settings to get it to work again. Seems like maybe a bug was introduced? And in fact, ronw says that in his reply (that it was an issue in 4.8 beta).

I should mention that this is a desktop machine/monitor combo, not a laptop.

Interesting.

Comment

There is the possibility that the monitor has it's own power settings - not uncommon in modern monitors these days.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'll look into that! Turn off all the software settings and let the monitor switch itself off. I kind of like that idea!

Well, get this, it just worked without doing anything. Good grief! I think it's intermittent. So does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

Thanks Snowhog for the suggestions thus far!

Comment

Having same issue. Seems like it just started happening recently.

Comment

Working...
            X