This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindle won't charge

I have a Kindle keyboard 3G. When I plug in the usb cable to my Kubuntu 11.10 box I can do file transfers just fine. However it won't charge.

Google finds a ton of stuff on this. The solution seems to be to eject instead of umount the kindle. However when I eject it still won't charge.

Can anyone help me get my kindle to charge?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Kindle won't charge

Are you plugging it into a USB2 port by chance? Do you have USB3 ports?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sounds like a USB wattage issue to me. Not all USB ports carry enough current to charge all devices, especially is you're running through a hub or long cable.

Please Read Me

Comment

You should try to recharge the kindle on the USB ports at the back of the PC. Also, you should check how many amps your PSU can output on the Vsb rail. Bad USB hubs, cables that are too long will cause voltage drops and your device will not charge.

Comment

There are special USB cables that take current from two ports, they were supplied with certain 2.5" USB HD's that would require more current than a older type single USB socked can deliver.
          These days most computers have USB sockets that can supply sufficient current by themselves.

The quick way to find out is to hook the Kindle up to someone’s new computer and see if it charges.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
            There are special USB cables that take current from two ports, they were supplied with certain 2.5" USB HD's that would require more current than a older type single USB socked can deliver.
            These days most computers have USB sockets that can supply sufficient current by themselves.

The quick way to find out is to hook the Kindle up to someone’s new computer and see if it charges.
            Excellent idea! I have an external CDROM that requires the output from two USB ports.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Does the Kindle require a special USB cable? My Nook Color does. Its microUSB jack is twice as long as usual to accommodate the high-capacity charger included with the Nook. It'll charge from standard USB ports and cables, but at a much slower rate.

Comment

Working...
              X