This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer problems.

I have a Brother DCP-8025D printer which with all previous versions of kubuntu (and other distros) has just worked, plug in, switch on, maybe run through the Add Printer dialog but that's it, no problem.

With Oneiric, it is recognised by the system as it appears on the hardware list on kinfocentre but it will not function and cannot be added in the Add Printer routine.

lsusb gives the lines :

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f9:0141 Brother Industries, Ltd DCP-8025D
    libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/001/004: Permission denied.
    libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.
    Couldn't open device, some information will be missing

How do I change these permissions ?

Re: Printer problems.

Looks related to this bug - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...mo/+bug/850232

What I would do is locate and list the permissions of /dev/bus/usb/001/004. My guess is that they are 660 root:root. Try changing it to root:lp and if that works, you might have to create your own udev rule - Just Google for udev rules and find one that look appropriate and modify it to your liking.

They arnt that hard to figure out. I use them all the time on servers for eth devices and storage.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Joe

Comment

Not getting on very well with this, On checking /dev/bus/usb/001/004 the owner:group is indeed root:lp and the permissions are read/write access for owner & group but according to lsusb -v, "libusb requires write access to USB device nodes."

So what is going on ?

Comment

Not sure, myself. I have an HP printer so not sure about Brother.

It is quite possibly a bug as mentioned in my last e-mail. You could chime in on the bug and let them know about your problem, or even start a new bug if its not appropriate.

Also, might check Brother's website to see if they have a newer driver for Ubuntu/Linux and install that.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Joe

Comment

This "bug" is probably unique to my installation or there would be other posts on the subject. I also have 10.04 installed on my hd and all the settings seem the same except the printer works on 10.04 but not 11.10 due to this write access issue.

I am speculating that the cause maybe down to the upgrade method. I normally upgrade by doing a clean install to a re-formatted root partition keeping the /home partition untouched, this time I did an online upgrade which seemed to run ok. I stopped doing online upgrades a few years ago as I often had a few minor but annoying problems which took much sorting out. I still have a minor networking issue to sort out on 11.10.

I shall try re-installing off a cd and see what happens.

Comment

You said in the initial post "I have a Brother DCP-8025D printer which with all previous versions of kubuntu (and other distros) has just worked, plug in, switch on, maybe run through the Add Printer dialog but that's it, no problem."

Would I be correct, that you are saying, that after you boot up Linux and are on the Desktop, then you plug in the printer and turn it on? If that is the case, have you tried plugging in the printer before you fire up your PC?
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In reply to Snowhog, it does not matter whether the printer is plugged in and on at bootup or plugged in afterwards. With the versions that work with the printer it also does not matter.

I am now totally confused as further examination of output from lsusb -v indicates that every usb device plugged in gives the same error messages as in my first post. My mouse, all usb flash memory sticks and my camera give the messages and all function perfectly.

I have also tried live cd versions of 11.10, (does not work), all versions of *buntu 11.04 and previous versions work as does mandriva 2010, Mint 10 & 11 all without any error messages but SuSe 11, Sabayon and Fedora 11 give the same problem.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Comment

Working...
              X