This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more desktop effects

I had to reinstall 11.10 after fooling around trying to get the ATI prop drivers inives me a long lists of effect that have been disabledstalled and working.

When I first installed desktopp effects were on by default and they were working fine. Now there are no effects with opengl. That just gives me a long list on drivers that have been dissabled. X-render wotks to a certain extent, but with the most important effects dissabled as well.

Any ideas?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: No more desktop effects

Older, same kind of topic: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3113529.0
    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

i had noticed that with 11.10 the "post release" version of the ati driver provided by jockey didn't even let kde start (64 bit idk if that will matter). the ones from their web page worked with broken openGL. but the recommended one in jockey provided both working openGL and a working desktop. might want to check the version you have installed.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

@OneLine: thank you for the link. Yeah I read that. where is rog?
        anyway that was a long time ago.

Before I re-installed I saved my old .kde as a back up.
        Switching back to that reinstated desktop effecks for some reason. Why it didn't work from a a fresh .kde is beyond me.

@sithlord48: with this fresh instal I am using to default drivers (xserver-xorg-video-radeon).

The last times i tried using the jockey (kde-jockey) non post-release driver I couldn't get any desktop effects working.

My issue is two fold: constant running fan. jockey gets rid of that. BUt no DE?

Maybe due to hybrid setup:
        00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 3581
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 44
        Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at 6000 [size=64]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc NI Seymour [AMD Radeon HD 6470M] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 3581
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
        Memory at a0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Memory at c6400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
        I/O ports at 5000 [size=256]
        Expansion ROM at c6420000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
        Kernel modules: radeon
        Anyway it seams to be running on the intel chip for now. Any way to check which card is being used?

I wanted to get the catalyst version 11.11 running, but that just gave me a headache.
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Ahhhh now i remember hybrid gfx,have you installed the vga switcharoo stuff? i wonder why when you install the prop drivers you get no effects does it show you having a GL provider?(does glxgears work?) have you tried to reset the effects in system settings? (i'm guessing you have) maybe for some reason you need to remove your ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc file afterwards and have it fully reset your effects settings. have you tried the drivers offered from ati's page and/or the post release versions?(just wondering).

i notice its an HP... i got my GF and hp a while ago and had all kinds of issues with the GPU and powerstates(like hp modified the gpu slightly.), it turned out that as long as i didn't have the linux-nonfree-firmware installed the card worked correctly. if i installed them the machine would lock up on a powerstat change. you might want to check for that as well.that happened w/ 10.04 and was fixed by 10.10. i just wonder if your have a similar issue.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thank you for the reply.
            Sorry if I can't reply in detail. have to run, but will check all of your suggestions for the weekend.
            I know it is a bit confusing, at least for me. Forst machine with hybrid anything.

4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
            X