This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound card problems

My system is based on an ASUS M2N68-CM motherboard which I have had for nearly 3 years. This has it's own onboard sound card which did not seem to work very well with Kubuntu 9.04 so I put in a generic soundblaster card I had which worked well and has continued working with upgrades up to Kubuntu 11.04 as well as with various other distros I have played with.

I have just upgraded to Kubuntu 11.10 (using the upgrade path rather than a clean install which is what I normally do) which seemed to be OK except that all was silent. While eliminating all possibilities, I plugged into the internal sound and surprise, full sound capabilities. The mixer panel shows channel controls for both internal and PCI sound systems so it is obviously being recognised but I cannot get any sound from the PCI card.

What is really bizarre is that I also have Linux Mint 10-KDE installed on my system and the situation is exactly reversed, the PCI card works fine but the internal sound is silent even though again, both are shown as present and have controls in the mixer panel.

Mint 10 is using kernel 2.6.35-22 while 11.10 uses 3.0.0-12 which seems to be a major revision.

This is not a major problem but it would be nice to sort it out and possibly get both sound systems working. Everything else with 11.10 is working well.

Any ideas ?

Re: Sound card problems

settings->system settings->multimedia->phonon

Set priority to your soundcard.

Comment

Re: Sound card problems - fixed

Nice one Cresho, that has neatly fixed the problem and I can now use both sound cards. They can only be used on an either/or basis but I am sure that when I first installed the PCI card on Kubuntu 9.04 both cards worked simultaneously and I just used the PCI card as it was better.

Is there a way of using both simultaneously ?

Comment

Re: Sound card problems

Good questions! there is but it would require me to sit infront of the computer and play with it all day long. There are various soulutions on the net and no GUI to help as I know of.

Comment

Working...
        X