This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Radeon HD 4850 incompatible

Hey guys, first post here I'm usually active on linux.com as far as forums but since I'm a kubuntu user I thought I would start posting here as well.

I get a black screen on my desktop if I upgrade to 11.10, I had a similar but fixable issue with 11.04 until they patched it but that issue was fixable. With 11.04 I was able to hook up my projector which was able to support the default input to the monitor which allowed me to then change it back to a normal setting my for my lcd monitor and everything worked again perfect.

With 11.10 it just flashes black, I tried the projector and it gets the same thing. Thinking I may just need to wait before I upgrade on my desktop, unless someone here has a fix for it.

Thanks guys.

Re: ATI Radeon HD 4850 incompatible

Do you have Catalyst installed? It shows up as fglrx in the repos.

Comment

intresting i also have a HD4850 and never had an issue, it works out of the box w/ the radeon driver (open source).if thats not working for you then you might want to try the fglrx driver, you can use jockey-text to install it from a cli.

can you show me you lspci and lshw info about that card. as well as your xorg.conf (if you have one)

oh also do not install the post update fglrx driver if you have a 64bit system it has some bug where it give you 32bit libGL.so.1 and then you can't start kde..
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I am on a 64 bit system, problem though, all I have is a flashing black screen. Do I need to re-install 10.04 upgrade to 11.04 and try what your saying? Or is there another way? I don't know what drivers i'm using but it worked great on 11.04 once the kinks were patched. How do I check?

Comment

changces are you have the properitay driver installed before you upgraded . you should boot to recover mode (hold shift when starting up ) the choose failsafe X session and use the jockey tool to remove you properitary driver. after thats done you should be able to restart and reinstall it with the jockey tool again do not use the post update version.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I uninstalled FGLRX before upgrading, and not sure I'll need to reinstall- the FOSS driver is running great...
            Need to fully remove -fglrx and reinstall -ati from scratch
            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
            X