This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wine won't uninstall

I installed wine, so that I can use photoshop. seems that it installed, I got no errors, but when I look for C drive it say it is not there. so I tried a few things, and figured, that I would un install it, and try ti install it again...well, I go to installed software, and there it is, and when I go to remove, it is greyed out, so I can't get it out...

what is the next logical step...
    the faster I go, the behinder I get

Re: wine won't uninstall

Not clear here. What do you mean by "greyed out"? And how are you determining that wine is not uninstalled? the process will remove wine program files, but it will not remove user configuration file and data (ie menu links, the ~/.wine folder) The menu links are user-specific so they are not removed, but can be from the menu editor.

As a caveat, in Linux, uninstalling then re-installing programs for the most part is mostly a useless exercise

First step is to go back and reinstall wine

then search for recent Ubuntu tutorials on installing photoshop in wine - doing this seems to be possible, depending on the PS version you have. But be warned playing with wine to run something such as this can lead to hair loss and blood pressure increases but is a good learning experience as if something is messed up wine-wise, you simply delete your hidden ~/.wine folder and start from scratch (this folder is where wine's faux C drive is)

Comment

I reinstalled wine, this time it came as 1.3 as opposed to 1.2...but when I go to "c" I get

"Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:///home/bobk/Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c: does not exist.Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:///home/bobk/Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c: does not exist."

but the package program says it is installed...

Comment

what do you mean by 'going to 'c'??
        Wine isn't a gui type of program. basically you click a windows exe file as you would in windows (and pray ), wine is basically a re-creation of the windows core libraries built to run in Linux.

and your ~/.wine folder is going to be in /homehome/bobk, not /home/bobk/Documents/ and actually doesn't exist until you either try to run an exe, or type in the command 'wine' in a terminal for the fist time if you haven't tried installing an exe yet.

the .wine folder where the 'c' will be does not have any wine programs in it, and no windows ones until you install something (note the "." denotes a hidden folder, you can view these in Dolphin by going to the view menu)

You should look up some tutorials on wine, perhaps, specific to the exact program and version you are trying to install. You have the basics already by having wine all ready to go.

Comment

OK thanks, I will mess with it...Maybe though, if I expect to get any work done, I should reinstall real windows...can I do that, after the fact? or do I have to start this exercise from scratch....

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

Comment

Working...
            X