This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(SOLVED) Logitec QuickCam IM no skype video

I had Skype 0n my desk top working in Kubuntu 9.10 & 10.10 until May. After that video went away.
    Tried 11.04 no video or sound until I did pulseaudio purge now have sound and mike.

lsusb gives “Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:08a6 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam IM”

Tried both Skype and ubuntu 64 downloads, did a fresh install of Kubuntu11.04
    also; “LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype" & “rm -r ~/.Skype”

In Kopete video looks good

box-- Gateway DX4720-03 Intel Pentium E5200, 4 GB DDR2

any thoughts??

Thank you in advance digger57

Re: Logitec QuickCam IM no skype video

Hi, Did you install 11.04 then the video went away or while you were using 10.10 and lower the video went away?

Comment

Hi, Did you install 11.04 then the video went away or while you were using 10.10 and lower the video went away?

It was under 10.10 when it quit I tried the fixes on both 10.10 & 11.04.
      I was gone 3 weeks it was ok when I left (mid May) shortly after I came home (1st. week of June) it quit

Comment

Digger, the video in Google+ is awesome! I sent you an invitation to join. It's called "Hangout".
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Have you tested the camera on windows? Does it show the same problem?

Comment

web cam Works well in windows Vista desk top & wife's XP laptop
            and also with my IBM laptop with Slackware 12.1 / Skype 2.0

Comment

Digger, the video in Google+ is awesome! I sent you an invitation to join. It's called "Hangout".

Thank you GrayGeek, I have a big family (Siblings, sons, daughters-in-law and of course 6 grand babies) scattered over 3 states they all use Skype.
              They're not too fond of change.

Comment

Your welcome.

However, once they realize that up to 10 people at a time can simultaneously view each other and talk they may change their mind!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

and as the issue seems to be a Skype-specific one as the other programs seem to work with your cam......

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    Your welcome.

However, once they realize that up to 10 people at a time can simultaneously view each other and talk they may change their mind!
                    I was just thinking the same thing I'm going to talk to my sons. The group sessions might convince them thanks again

Comment

Re: (SOLVED) Logitec QuickCam IM no skype video

Here is what I found;
                      Kubuntu 11.04 – Logitec QuickCam IM – lsusb result – “Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:08a6 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam IM”

1. Install current Skype 2.2.0.35 with Synaptic Package Manager (for some reason this step was needed) I tried it with out didn't work.
                      2. down load skype-ubuntu-intrepid_2.1.0.47-1_amd64.deb, found at; http://www.echoblogger.com/downloads...47-beta-linux/
                      3. Remove Skype 2.2.0.35 with Synaptic Package Manager
                      4. Install skype-ubuntu-intrepid_2.1.0.47-1_amd64.deb; go to location of download and click on package.
                      5. Try it in Konsole “LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype” if it works –
                      6. Paste the following thread with out quotes into command line of your desk top icon “LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype”
                      7. To get sound working, purge pulseaudio then configure alsa
                      8. I used “Kopete” to configure camera settings – brightness ,contrast etc.
                      9. Also, on video test page click Automatically start video when call begins
                      it is working well for me
                      Hope this helps someone,
                      digger57

Comment

I have also found Skype 2.2.0.35 unsuitable with my WebCam which is a Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro for Mac. It is a 2Mpixel camera with firmware for RightLight 2 and Autofocus. The latest version of Skype seems to overwrite the firmware and stop it from working, ie images out of focus and not changing to light level. I reported this problem on the Skype community site at http://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/...res/td-p/42434. This problem has been forwarded to the development team. On this site you will also see lots of other complaints about the new version.

I currently use Skype 2.1.0.81 and find that it meets all my requirements. I am wondering if you tried this version before using 2.1.0.47?

Because I use the older version, I now have to use KPackageKit for software updates so that I can stop Skype from being upgraded.

Comment

Skype 2.1.0.81 and instructions above also worked on Kubuntu 10.10.

Going to try up grade to Skype 2.1.0.81 on my 11.04 partition later today.
                          Up date to 2.1.0.81 went well, working good.

thanks,
                          digger

Comment

Working...
                          X