X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 40" LED and Resolution

Hi All,

I just bought a Samsung 40" LED 1080p television which I also use as my computer monitor. I have couple of queries regarding resolutions. Hope I'll find answers to them here. A little background on the hardware and software.
    • OS is Kubuntu 11.04
    • Nvidia GTX 560 (not Ti)Graphics Card, with latest Nvidia driver (280.13)
    • Connecting the 40" LED monitor using DVI Out to TV's HDMI/DVI in using a DVI-HDMI cable.
    • Currently running at 1024x768 with 87Hz Interlaced

I have below queries:
    • On the native resolution 1920x1080 am having issues with readability unless I blow up the fonts plus too small for normal viewing, other resolutions have a little blurry fonts not feasible for long time surfing and usage. What are ideal settings for Gamma, Brightness etc?
    • I have downloaded the 720p-1080p movies, am I losing on the quality as am not running the display on its native resolution?
    • Which cable connection is ideal DVI-HDMI or HDMI-HDMI?

Am petty sure you guys must be having similar kind of setup. What you people recommend to fully exploit and enjoy these two expensive hardware's (LED and Nvidia card)?

Thanks in Advance,
    Cybeh

Re: Samsung 40" LED and Resolution

Small fonts are a feature of running an HD resolution screen.
    But because it's 40" that should not be an issue.

In System Settings/ Appearance/ Fonts you can experiment with the DPI and/ or font sizes.

Running a non-native resolution on a flat screen always results in a loss of quality.

LED screens are notorious for their bad (= low) contrast and colour rendering, so a narrow font on a contrasting background can look washed out.

Of course you lose quality when you play HD movies on what essentially is an SD screen (1024x768).

I don't have an HDMI output myself so I can't speak from experience but I would imagine HDMI-HDMI is the best choice.

Comment

Working...
    X