X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java plugin for browsers installation

Hi!

I have a problem running some Java applets on Kubuntu 11.04 in Chrome and Opera browsers (and FF too).
    I have installed “Icedtea Java plugin”, and JDK version 1.6.0_26b03 and some applets run well, but others aren't.
    I met that situation about march 2011 and that time “sun-java6-plugin” package was still available, and it worked fine with every applet I ever met in the web. But now that package is gone, I have only “Icedtea Java Plugin” in the list and some applets doesn't work with it.
    Please tell me what should I do? The old one method – to copy libnpj2.so to “plugins” directory of browsers doesn't work too. I even do not see “plugins” subdirectory any more in chrome installation directory, in the same time when I creating that subdirectory and place file there opera see plugin well but can't run any applet at all, same as chrome.

What is the best way to install java plugin (version 6) for browsers in Kubuntu 11.04?
    How can I install and run Java 7 plugin for browsers in Kubuntu 11.04?

Thank you

Re: Java plugin for browsers installation

Alas, I have found OpenJDK to fail more often than succeed (most recently when trying to get the Juniper SSL VPN client to work). So as standard procedure I remove OpenJDK and replace it with Sun Oracle Java instead.

But Oracle Java is in a different repository now, so you have to do a little work to get it. In KPackageKit | Settings | Edit Origins | Other Software, enable the Canonical Partners repositories. Then back in KPackageKit, search for and install sun-java6-plugin (this will pull in all the dependencies, including the runtime). It wouldn't hurt also to install sun-java6-fonts and -- if you're running a 64-bit system -- ia32-sun-java6-bin. After the install finishes, you can remove anything with openjdk or icedtea in its name.

Comment

Thank you.
      That works!
      But could you tell me how to set up plugin manually in Kubuntu 11.04 ? This is important for me because I can not rely on package completely and sometimes need to use most recent version of Java instantly. For example Java 7 is already available but how to set up its plugin? I don't know. Any information?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by cinva
        But could you tell me how to set up plugin manually in Kubuntu 11.04 ?
        The Partner repository hasn't been updated yet. While it's possible to download Java 7 directly from Oracle, it appears the packages there are only for Red Hat and SUSE -- at least that's what the download page says. I haven't personally tried installing the self-extractor.

Unless you absolutely need Java 7 functionality, you might want to wait a little while for Oracle to fix a security issue...

Comment

Thanks steveriley, this worked for me.

Comment

Working...
          X