X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange New "Feature" in Dolphin

Hey All

Have a question... Just upgraded to 4.7 and so far I really like it!

However, I am curious what this new feature is. Its located on the bottom right of Dolphin. I have attached a png image of what I am referring too.

Its all grayed out and I can't see how to enable it.

Thanks!
    Joe
    Attached Files

Re: Strange New "Feature" in Dolphin

It's part of the search feature. You can tag files/folders and rate them and use that as a filter feature. In order to enable it, go to System Settings, Desktop Search, and check Enable Strigi Desktop File Indexer.

Comment

Originally posted by vhook
      It's part of the search feature. You can tag files/folders and rate them and use that as a filter feature. In order to enable it, go to System Settings, Desktop Search, and check Enable Strigi Desktop File Indexer.

Very cool! Thanks for the explanation!

Joe

Comment

I am aware of the feature but not sure how it's meant to work.

If I go into a folder which has mixture of documents, audio and video files, I check the video checkbox assuming this will hide every other file type and just show the videos, right?
        Well it hides everything, including the video files. Does exactly the same thing with the other file types so I'm not sure what it's meant to do at all.

This is after having strigi indexing running for a few weeks now so everything should certainly be in it's database.

Comment

think it uses nepomuk. do u have that enabled also ?

it on my machine filters to show only items matching those items. (i checked video it showed me videos in my home folder.)
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Yes, both strigi indexing and nepomuk are enabled and appear to be running normally and when I look into the settings it does tell me what it is currently indexing etc.
            Both have been enabled since I did a fresh install a few weeks ago but despite playing with the dolphin filter/search panel several times it just doesn't work here.

Comment

For the record this is not a new feature. As far as I know it's been in dolphin since at least KDE 4.3 as I used it on Linux Mint 7 KDE.

Comment

I think it will be SEEN as a new feature since it was added to the right panel by default.
                I think that happened in one of the last couple of release though.

I still never got it working properly but I find the filter bar at the bottom useful enough anyway so doubt I would use the panel even if it did work.

Comment

Originally posted by x-shaney-x
                  I think it will be SEEN as a new feature since it was added to the right panel by default.
                  I think that happened in one of the last couple of release though.
                  im inclined to agree with you on that one.
                  I still never got it working properly but I find the filter bar at the bottom useful enough anyway so doubt I would use the panel even if it did work.
                  even with it working correctly i find myself using the filterbar more.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                    even with it working correctly i find myself using the filterbar more.
                    Well I can't speak for anyone else but for most stuff, such as music and documents, videos and photos, I keep them all separate in their own related folders and I would imagine many other people do.

So if I am looking for a particular thing then it will be by file name rather than file type.

Still at least I can say they have all bases covered which goes for much of KDE.

Comment

Well I can't speak for anyone else but for most stuff, such as music and documents, videos and photos, I keep them all separate in their own related folders and I would imagine many other people do.

So if I am looking for a particular thing then it will be by file name rather than file type.
                      i dont' think alot of people just throw everthing in one folder. i know i have my stuff neatly sorted.

Comment

i dont' think alot of people just throw everthing in one folder. i know i have my stuff neatly sorted.
                        I do as well. I've looked at my friends computers before and it drives me nuts at how many things are just strewn over the HDD. Especially the desktop. How does one person manage to fill an entire 1280x800 screen with anime pictures
                        Really this "new" feature is useless. To find a particular file I just hit CTRL+F then type an asterisk plus the extension like this: *.txt
                        That's been a feature since DOS and System 1.

Comment

Sure nice that *.txt for a Windows computer.
                          But Linux does not necessarily use extensions for mime-types.

Comment

Right, but that's how I tend to search for things and it's yet to fail me.

Comment

Working...
                            X