This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarification on Multiple Monitor Setup

Hi -- I just pulled out a dusty LCD screen and added it to my setup. I'm using TwinView with the nvidia driver. But I'm a little confused because I have no idea how to tell my computer to only open up new windows on monitor 1 and never open it on monitor 2.

Looking in system settings>monitor>dual monitors, there are 5 tick boxes regarding "enabling multiple ... support" but I have no idea what any of them do.

So, if I want to tell Kubuntu to only open up a new program on monitor 1 and never on monitor 2, which software am I dealing with? Nvidia, Xorg, or KDE system settings?
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Re: Clarification on Multiple Monitor Setup

So, if I want to tell Kubuntu to only open up a new program on monitor 1 and never on monitor 2, which software am I dealing with? Nvidia, Xorg, or KDE system settings?
    Yes.

Sorry - I couldn't resist!

It can be a bit daunting, but here's my experience: With twinview some programs will see your monitors as a single monitor. These will require special windows/applications settings to fix the location where they open. The default behavior of most windows is to open where they last were closed.

If you really want to segregate the second monitor to just a very few apps - twinview probably isn't the best choice. A separate x screen will be easier to manage. You can force a program to open on the second screen. The disadvantage to this is you won't be able to move windows back and forth.

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: Clarification on Multiple Monitor Setup

Thanks for your input. My research since creating this thread has led me to a similar conclusion. Unfortunately, KDE uses both monitors as one big screen. Two X screens quickly became a headache because I couldn't tell X which monitor to use as 0 and 1. So I'm back to twinview and I'm getting used to it. If nothing else, it's just fun
      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Working...
      X