This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotating Desktop Cube

I have installed Kubuntu 11.04 as my first Kubuntu installation. I have previously used Ubuntu 9.04, 10.04 and 11.04. I use the rotating desktop cube on all of these installations to show 4 different desktop pictures.

I have installed Compiz, Emerald and Compiz Fusion Icon. I have set CompizConfig Settings Manager the same as worked in all the Ubuntu installations and set Compiz as the windows manager in System Settings. The result is I have 4 desktops, but the previous wallpaper (not one of the 4 I set in Compiz) showing on all 4 desktops, The scroll wheel on the mouse will switch between the desktops.

What have I done wrong and how do I make it work?

Re: Rotating Desktop Cube

These days you don't need Compiz or Emerald and I could imagine they are now in the way of proper settings.

System Settings/ Desktop Effects is where you find all what's needed.

Comment

http://dohbuoy.wordpress.com/2011/04...-and-the-cube/

Comment

OK, I have turned off all of the Compiz settings, returned windows manager control to KWin and checked the Desktop Cube box in System Settings - Desktop Effects. But when I check "Apply" in Desktop Effects, I get a message box from KWin saying Desktop Cube could not be activated.

But using Desktop Settings, I have been able to install the 4 desired pictures on the 4 desktops. The scroll wheel on the mouse switches through the 4 desktops, but with no rotating cube effect, just the replacement of one desktop and its picture with the next one.

This is an improvement, but how can I get KWin (or some other element) to activate Desktop Cube, which willpresumably give the desired rotating cube effect?

Comment

what video card you have? If it used any proprietary drivers in Ubuntu, do you have those installed?

You may have to go into system settings' Desktop Effects enable "Disable Functionality Checks"

Kwin isn't the same as compiz, and Kwin does err on the side of caution/stability, I think.

Comment

The video card is an ATI Radian 9800 Pro. I do not think Ubuntu needs proprietary drives for this card like it does for nVidea. The same card and computer runs the rotating cube in Ububtu 9.04.

I have now enabled "Disable Functionality Checks" and KWin still says Desktop Cube cannot be activated.

Comment

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/.../radeon.4.html

Says the radeon driver works and supports 3D. I'd study the notes there and see if there is an option of some kind that you need to set.

EDIT: Here's more on 3D http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Radeon

Comment

Intermediate Report

I began to suspect there was either something inherently wrong with Kubuntu 11.04 (not too likely since Desktop Cube works for other people, as they have reported in this forum) or something had gone wrong during its installation on my computer. So I ran Kubuntu 10.04 off of a live cd, and found that a beautiful rotating cube with my chosen pictures installed quickly and ran perfectly, with the rotation effects even better than in Ubuntu. I then ran Kubuntu 11.04 off of the live cd, and got the same good results.

Conclusion: Nothing wrong with any hardware, including the video card, and nothing inherently wrong with Kubuntu 11.04. There was apparently a defect in its installation onto my computer.

I am going to reinstall 11.04 on the computer. I will report the results.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaPhil
                  I am going to reinstall 11.04 on the computer. I will report the results.
                  Would have been easier to boot into single-user mode, rename your .kde directory and log back on - this would have restored your desktop to default settings
                  we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

I have completed the reinstallation and it works perfectly.

Re wizard10000's suggestion, the reason I elected for a clean install was that, from the beginning there were issues unrelated to the desktop. such as samba configuration and a deplorable tendency to freeze up whenever I tried to use widgets. I was already suspicious of the whole thing, so I bit the bullet and did a clean install, which has solved the desktop cube problem.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and showing me how compiz is not needed.

Comment

Glad you got it fixed

I used compiz with KDE until 11.04 - then switched to kwin because compiz and emerald no longer play nice together but with kwin I can run my favorite emerald theme.
                      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                      X