This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot save .gif files in GIMP

I'm having trouble saving .gif files, when I attempt to save, I get the following error:

Saving '/home/username/Desktop/filename.gif' failed:
    Procedure 'file-gif-save' returned no return values

I'm running Kubuntu 11.04 64bit

I've tried re-installing and removing the home/username/.gimp folder, but still the same.
    libgif4 is installed.

Re: Cannot save .gif files in GIMP

I just converted a .png to .gif with no problem. My 11.04 system is 32-bit, but I don't think that difference is relevant.

gimp version = 2.6.11

When you choose "save as", do you get the "Save Image" dialog? On that one, in the lower part of the panel is the "Select File Type (by extension)" drop-down. Do you see that? When you scroll down the list of file name extensions, and you choose ".gif", then it opens the "Export File" dialog, and on that one the "Convert to indexed using default settings ..." item is already checked. Do you see that? So, if you click the "Export" button on the bottom of that dialog, it opens the "Save as GIF" dialog, and on that one there is a Gif comment "created by Gimp" already checked. Do you see this panel? So if I simply click "Save", it does the save with no errors. In this process, where do you experience the error?

Comment

OK, I did exactly as you described and I was able to save as a .gif.

On further testing the problem is if I convert an image to indexed from RGB using Image>>Mode>>Indexed
      If I make the conversion like that, then I get the error when I try to save.

It's still a problem if you want to control the palette.

Comment

I'm far from a graphics expert, but Google found this which may be relevant to your project: http://www.ms-news.net/f3599/error-a...t-2054588.html

Comment

I'm far from a graphics expert, but Google found this which may be relevant to your project: http://www.ms-news.net/f3599/error-a...t-2054588.html
          That's not really relevant.

I'm just trying to do something that I've been doing in the Gimp for many years without problems (up until now).

Comment

I confirmed the error on save, after converting to indexed mode. Exactly as you reported, on Kubuntu 11.04/gimp 2.6.11.

FYI, on my Debian sid system, I have a beta gimp 2.7.3. In this version the "save as" to convert format is gone, you must do "file > export" to convert. On that system, I changed a file to 16-color indexed, and exported it to .gif format, with no error. So, I guess you need to either go back a version of gimp, or forward to the beta.

Comment

Thanks for your help - I guess I can live with the auto export from RGB and slightly larger files for a while.
              I didn't realise that was still working.

Comment

Working...
              X