Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kmail - extracting email addresses from sent folder?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail - extracting email addresses from sent folder?

While upgrading I copied my email but I forgot to import contacts (among other things).

Is it possible to rebuild my contacts data by extracting names and email addresses from my Kmail sent mail folder? Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Sandy

Re: Kmail - extracting email addresses from sent folder?

I don't know of any app that parses the sent-mail directory to recover email addresses, but one could write a script to do that.

The sent-mail emails are stored in:
    /home/jerry/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/sent-mail/cur/
    where "jerry" is YOUR account name.
    They are text files and the 10th line of each file begins with:
    To:
    and all that follows is the email address of the target.

If you used BCC: or CC: then the "To:" will be "Reply-To:" and the string of email target addresses will follow "BCC:", with one on that line, a comma, and one on each line that follows, including a comma, until the next line begins with a "Date:".

The "@" symbol could be used as a guide to locating an email address, except in the case where the msg includes ascii armor.

Or, you could just browse those ascii files with Dolphin, open them with Kate, and cut & paste the email addresses into a second kate document.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X