This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Weird Plasma desktop crashes

Hi, I've recently updated to Natty (64bit, clean install).

I'm experiencing strange behavior in plasma; the symptoms are as follows:
    First I get plasma notifications (the usual notifier pop-up) telling me about some file transfers (which I never initiated) and sometimes I see a progress bar (the one you get when you do larger file transfers). This pops up every half a minute of so, until after about 15 minutes (and ~30 pop-ups clogging up my notifications!) the plasma desktop crashes and restarts. After the restart the behavior is normal (no weird pop-ups).

I've already experienced this problem in KDE 4.5 (Maverick); I was hoping a clean install would fix it. Unfortunately not so: the same problem is also occurring with my new, clean install in KDE 4.6!
    The problem is annoying because the pop-ups grab the focus from other plasma windows, the system lags, and they clog up the notifications. It usually results in a crash and restart of plasma and then is gone for a while. It happens approximately once per day on my laptop (T60p, ATI card, open source driver) but never happened on my desktop.

Any ideas what this might be?

Chopstick

Re: Weird Plasma desktop crashes

Have you tried disabling Desktop Effects? (Kgear-->settings-->system settings-->Desktop)
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I haven't, at least not explicitly; but I have never noticed this behavior when desktop effects were off for some other reason. I will try to switch them off next time it happens, and see if it stops.
      Of course I don't want to live without desktop effects, but it will be a good diagnostic.

Comment

Switching off desktop effects has no effect on this behavior.

Comment

if you have not done so i would back up your ~/.kde folder and then remove it most all your settings are saved there, just incase its something you did on accident.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Actually I highly suspect that it is something in my settings. After the clean install and before I started customizing stuff, I didn't encounter this problem.
            Of course it is possible that this was just a coincidence.

I'm somewhat reluctant to test that again, because I would have to work on a standard desktop for a while until it happens again... but if no one else has a better idea, I may have to do that.

Did anyone else ever encounter this problem? I googled but didn't find anything, but maybe I'm just not searching for the right thing... ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chopstick

I get plasma notifications (the usual notifier pop-up) telling me about some file transfers (which I never initiated)
              That seems odd -- I've never seen it and I haven't seen any other reports of such a phenomenon.

Can you capture the exact notification message? It might be worth a google to see if it is a known bug of some sort.

Comment

Ah, when I started reading your message my first thought was 'this must be due to some non-default program/ setting'.
                I must have installed various Kubuntu's for over a hundred times and never experienced such behaviour.

Comment

The weird thing is, the configuration on my laptop and my desktop is almost identical, and it never happened on my desktop.
                  And I don't think I have anything weird or extremely unusual in my configuration. I installed custom fonts, but, again, identical on both systems.
                  Is it possible that it is related to the video driver? My laptop has an older ATI card (running on open-source driver) and the desktop has a more recent (but cheap) NVIDIA card (with proprietary driver).

Comment

I've done some more searching: maybe I was looking in the wrong direction. I found this bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=209004
                    Comment #18 sounds similar to what I experience (although I never saw any connection to amarok) and comment #22 claims it is because of the nowplaying-widget (which I have).

I removed the nowplaying applet to see, if it happens again; I'll post results. (In contrast to other posters in the said bug report, I had no difficulty removing it...)

Comment

Working...
                    X