Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] How do you change default audio player?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How do you change default audio player?

Amarok will not play audio CD's, not on my machine anyway but Audacious does.
    As nice as Amarok is I don't really use all of the features and would like to change the default.
    Ideally I would like the notifier that pops when I put an audio CD in to say 'play with Audacious' and not Amarok.

Does anyone know how to change the default audio player?

Out of interest does anyone know why Amarok doesn't work?
    I get the impression I'm not the only one having trouble.
    Kubuntu 15.10

Re: How do you change default audio player?

Originally posted by kri5
    Out of interest does anyone know why Amarok doesn't work?
    I get the impression I'm not the only one having trouble.
    It hasn't worked with audio CDs since version 1.4, which many say was the last fully functional Amarok produced. Since the move to the 2 series, the playing of audio CDs has taken a back seat to the developers. I still find it incredulous that Amarok is praised as the 'one source for all your music needs' when it won't properly deal with audio CDs. The development of Amarok is for audio 'files' - mp3's et al - and online audio streaming. Your beloved collection of audio CDs are relics of the past, or so they would seem to be in their (the developers) minds.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

sad but true
      and "supposedly" "Linux is all about 'choice' and 'the people'" >
      woodsmoke

Comment

So it would appear that if you want to use Amarok to play your CD collection, first of all you have to RIP them all onto your hard drive.

How come Kubuntu elected to use Amarok as the default audio player when it doesn't play audio CDs?
        Seems to me that someone took their eyes off the ball there!
        Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

KSCD is a really nice, low resources cd player, but alas, if wasn't in the device notifier dialog. But, there is an entry for it, just a non-functional entry... so I went to the device notifier icon
          <right click> > device notifier settings
          > device actions
          > find entry for KsCD > Edit
          > make a copy of the executable command, in this case "kscd -s"
          <left click> Cancel
          <left click> Add
          it asks for a name> fill in with something unique and appropriate such as "Play wtih KsCD"
          There should be an entry for "All of the contained properties must match"
          <left click> will highlight it.
          Change parameter type to "Property Match"
          Change Device type to "Optical Disc"
          Change Value name to "Available Content"
          Change "equals" to "contains" and fill in the blank with "Audio"
          <left click> Save Parameter Changes.
          <left click> OK

Now when you insert a cd, KsCD or your favorite cd player should work. The problem stems from the "All of the contained properties must match" being tied to some thing about storage volume properites that I don't understand but doesn't seem to work, otherwise a lot of options (such as ripping with K3B) would be working whenever you pop in a disc. Only the entry for Amarok got it right. Also, I've tried editing existing entries to the above parameters, but somehow that didn't work for me. Perhaps I need to reboot first, but I don't think so. I'll write a followup if that is true.

Comment

Working...
          X