Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iPod 5th Gen w/ Amarok (music not recognized)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPod 5th Gen w/ Amarok (music not recognized)

Hello, I'm new to Kubuntu and still getting used to all the wonderful apps, repositories and general maze that Linux is. This is my first week on the OS and the experience is getting better.

Getting to the issue: I'm using the default player (Amarok) to manage my music, it's a lot like winamp imo which i used before. The problem is that Amarok recognizes my iPod 5th gen, but fails to list any kind of music files in the browser (I know they're there because I am actually listening to them on Amarok, which I found by fiddling in iPod_Control-> music... ).

I've been reading about the issues with other ipods, firewireguid (no idea about), but there's no threads that seem to help.

Is there a program that can get Amarok to recognize my iPod? and How would I install it?

Ruben

Re: iPod 5th Gen w/ Amarok (music not recognized)

Hi Ruben
    and welcome to a great adventure, every Linux person in this forum started out just like you!

I don't use Ipod but just a plain vanilla mp3 player so I have no first hand information.

if there is such a person at the forum, I'm sure he or she will be by relatively quickly.

However, to help you while away the time maybe this will help, if it does OR does not please so state.

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Media_Device:IPod

again, welcome to a very friendly forum!

woodsmoke

Comment

Thanks woodsmoke, I had a look at this same page before, actually, more concisely the "My iPod does not show any music" section. I've been barely using the console and am hesitant to mess up my system/ ipod so soon.

Comment

ok,
        just hang tight somebody will be by shortly.

woodsmoke

Comment

Hi and welcome.

To get any ipod to work you will need to have installed as a bare minimum the package libgpod.

You can search it in your package manager or you can copy the following into a terminal

Code:
          sudo apt-get install libgpod
          Assuming your pod is supported you will be able to access the ipod through amarok, and copy songs from your hard drive to it. Remember to hit save after moving files so as to synchronise.

If you want more power eg set up playlists on the ipod (I believe amarok can't do this) then you need the application gtkpod.

Hope this helps

ian

Comment

I tried to run the command but it wouldn't install libgpod. Instead I had an error:

E: Unable to find package libgpod

and it aborted. Any ideas?

ruben

Comment

libgpod4 is the correct package.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I settled on gtkpod to manage music, the libgpod packages just aren't working.

Thanks all

ruben

Comment

Sorry about that - I was at a win box when I posted earlier

Can't disagree with you using gtkpod for managing your Ipod. However, on installing it you probably installed libgpod 4 as a dependency which would probably also make Amarok work, although gtkpod being primarily for ipod management will work very well for you.

Enjoy the journey. Come back if you need any help in the future.

Comment

Gtk probably installed libgpod4 along with it, but still no luck w/ amarok compatibility. I'm guessing it has something to do with the i empire changing their security on the newer generation pods to keep everyone here busy.

I'll settle with gtk, i can part with playing music directly from my pod. My computer holds all the files anyway.

ruben

Comment

Working...
                    X