X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Desktop startup issue

Hi,

I was making some changes to the Desktop Effects settings, and my machine hung. After a few minutes of nothing, I rebooted. Since then I haven't been able to get the desktop to start. After logging in, The 'progress box' pops up, and works fine until 4 of the 5 progress icons have been displayed. Then I see a little more disk activity, then nothing.

I've tried, from single user mode,

1) Creating a new user, incase it was a per-user setting which was corrupted
    2) Purge-install of systemsettings, kdebase-workspace, kubuntu-desktop. (Though I guess a few of these ar dummy packages)

Result - no change.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Re: Desktop startup issue

Start by looking into your logs to find where it's hanging up.

Usually failure to log in is a permission or full disk issue. I've never heard of effects settings causing this sort of problem. Verify there's still space on all your partitions.

Please Read Me

Comment

Renaming ~/.kde might help, during start up a fresh one will be created.
      Once you're OK you can copy back the bits that don't cause grief and delete the rest.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

After a more thorough go over of my logs (kdm.log in particular) I was led to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743377 after I found a reference to the DBUS server failing to start.

In short, ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc needed a change:

Code:
        [Compositing]
        Enabled=false
        need to be set. I guess it must be set true by default, as the new user I created didn't work either.

I

Comment

Working...
        X