X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kpackagekit or Synaptic?

Guys (and Gals),

I'm relatively new to Kubuntu (recently emigrated from Ubuntu) and although I have no problem with Kpackagekit I can't help but notice there was a lot more packages/softare available with Ubuntu via Synaptic and the Ubuntu Software Center.

I'm just wondering who use what and if using synaptic presents any problems within Kubuntu?
    Kubuntu 15.10

Re: Kpackagekit or Synaptic?

KPackageKit is chosen by default when the automatic updating occurs. A lot of folks in this forum prefer Synaptic, as I do.

But, when installing Synaptic one doesn't need to install all of the Gnome recommended files.

In a Konsole type
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends synaptic

Synaptic keeps a much more usable history of your installs and removes than KPackageKit. Many think its format and GUI better and more easily used than KPK. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I also prefer synaptic. Works just fine in KDE.
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
        I also prefer synaptic.
        Me three.
        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Here:

#1 Commandline: apt-get + aptitude
          #2 Muon
          #3 Synaptic

Earlier > http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3085333.0:
          Post by: Rog131 on July 29, 2007, 04:54:57 am

Happily using synaptic+apt-get (adept - maybe someday but not yet )

Synaptic keeps a much more usable history of your installs and removes than KPackageKit...
          Sadly the Synaptic is keeping it's own history file. I think that the Muon is looking/parsing the dpkg log.

[img width=400 height=161]http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/1898/historyb.jpg[/img]
          A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
          Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Synaptic for me too!

Comment

If you have Kpackagekit and Synaptic installed do they both reflect the same changes?

For example if i installed an application via Synaptic would it show up as being installed on Kpackagekit and vice versa?
              Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

I use command line+KPK. If you want a better GUI, I would try muon
                Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

If you have Kpackagekit and Synaptic installed do they both reflect the same changes?

For example if i installed an application via Synaptic would it show up as being installed on Kpackagekit and vice versa?
                  They should as they are "only" the front-ends.

Old (1*) > http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3092288.0:

The mother of all package management in the Debian - dpkg

dpkg /1/

In the beginning there was the .tar.gz. Users had to compile each program that they wanted to use on their GNU/Linux systems. When Debian was created, it was deemed necessary that the system include a method of managing the packages installed on the machine. The name dpkg was given to this system.

man dpkg:
                  DESCRIPTION
                  dpkg is a tool to install, build, remove and manage Debian packages.
                  The primary and more user-friendly front-end for dpkg is dselect(1).
                  dpkg itself is controlled entirely via command line parameters, which
                  consist of exactly one action and zero or more options. The action-
                  parameter tells dpkg what to do and options control the behavior of the
                  action in some way.
                  apt /1/

A new dilemma quickly took hold of the minds of the makers of GNU/Linux. They needed a rapid, practical, and efficient way to install packages that would manage dependencies automatically and take care of their configuration files while upgrading. Here again, Debian led the way and gave birth to APT, the Advanced Packaging Tool...

man synaptic:

DESCRIPTION
                  Synaptic is a frontend for the apt package managent system. It allows you to perform all
                  actions of the command line tool apt-get in a graphical environemnt. This includes installing,
                  upgrading, downgrading and removing of single packages or even upgrading your whole system.

KpackageKit is the KDE ui for the PackageKit.

> PackageKit Main Page (http://packagekit.org/):
                  What is PackageKit?

PackageKit is a system designed to make installing and updating software on your computer easier. The primary design goal is to unify all the software graphical tools used in different distributions, and use some of the latest technology like PolicyKit to make the process suck less.

The actual nuts-and-bolts distro tool (yum, apt, conary, etc) is used by PackageKit using compiled and scripted helpers...

gnome-packagekit is the name of the collection of graphical tools for PackageKit to be used in the GNOME desktop.

PackageKit-Qt is the name of the QT graphical tools designed for PackageKit...
                  > KPackageKit (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=84745):
                  Description:
                  KPackageKit is the KDE interface for PackageKit...

/1/ APT HOWTO
                  Chapter 1 - Introduction
                  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch1.en.html

(1*) There was an oops > http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3117115.0
                  A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                  Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

I do so:

me@blackbox:~$ kdesudo systemsettings
                    Choose oxygen-gtk in GTK Appearance.

If it dont work use
                    me@blackbox:~$ sudo lxappearance (or gtk-chtheme)

Now, the "Synaptic Package Manager" its like a kde software!

Comment

Re: Kpackagekit broken

KpackageKit is broken will not allow me to install firefox or apache so far.
                      I get the follow error when it goes to the optical drive, which is mounted.

Package failed to download, check network connection.

E: Error cdrom://Kubuntu 11.04 _Natty Narwhal_ - Release i386 (20110427.1)/ natty/main libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3 i386 1.3.9+dfsg-5ubuntu3
                      Unable to stat the mount point /media/Kubuntu\04011.04\040i386/ - stat (2: No such file or directory)

Comment

1. KpackageKit is promising.

2. I agree Synaptic is the best.

3. Muon is promising.

4. Don't diss Adept!

:P

Comment

I use KPAckageKit usually, MUon is second.
                          I don't like the look and feel of synaptic, I'd rather use the command line in that case.

Muon and KPK both have small things that bug me in the ui, but at the moment KPK has a very slight edge. But Muon will eventually win out, I think.

But really, none of them are as terrible they are portrayed, imnsho.

Comment

I agree. In the early days, KPackagekit (KPK) had it's issues, some of which were not trivial. But it has matured - alot. Early on in my adventures with Kubuntu, before the development/release of KPK, I used Adept Package Manager (APM). APM was good - very good. When KPK came on the scene, I learned about Synaptic and installed it, being a far superior package manager than KPK. Later, when the talk in KFN mentioned a new package manager and how good it was -- Muon -- I gave it a try. Muon is now the only other package manager (other than the currently default KPK) that I install. All this said however, I generally (almost never) use either GUI package manager to install/remove packages on my installed systems -- for that, I use the command line and apt-get. This is simply personal preference and not a dis to KPK or Muon.
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I personally like Muon better because it has a lot of built-in features like advanced filtering that KPK doesn't have. Also, the separate Software Center is a nice touch that shows promise.
                              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                              K*Digest Blog
                              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X