Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lpr gui dialog box popping up from command line printing.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lpr gui dialog box popping up from command line printing.

I have a script that loops to merge and print files; I run it from an xterm. It used to work before I switched to a mac.

On a new install, though (amd64), it's popping up an LPR GUI dialog box on every single iteration of lpr.
    This is merely annoying when there are three or five jobs, but I'm looking at 70 this week.

The command is

lpr -o sides=two-sided-long-edge printme.pdf

(where the script already generated printme.pdf)

The output is,

**** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.
    Package `cupsys-common' is not available.
    Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
    and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
    ProcessEx::execute: </usr/bin/lpr.orig|-#|1|-P|5370dw|-h|-o|auth-info-requiredone device-uri=usb://Brother/HL-5370DW%20series finishings=3 job-hold-until=noold job-priority=50 marker-change-time=0 number-up=1 printer-commands=AutoConure,Clean,PrintSelfTestPage printer-info=BROTHER HL-5370DW printer-is-acceptijobs=true printer-is-shared=true printer-location=desk printer-make-and-modelother HL-5170DN Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e printer-state=4 printer-state-change-tim307996598 printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=8564756 printer-uri-supportipp://localhost:631/printers/5370dw scaling=100 sides=two-sided-long-edge|prie.pdf>

Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Re: lpr gui dialog box popping up from command line printing.

I've fond the answer, after much googling.

I think it's the samsung unified printer that does it, but the standard installation moves lpr to lpr.orig, and lpr itself is actually a link to that lpr_gui program--with the result that it is impossible to print with lpr in a console, and batch use of lpr is unworkable.

I manually undid thes links to get it working as expected.
    Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

Working...
    X