This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eGroupware, groupDAV and kaddressbook

In my quest to constantly change software, I am evaluating eGroupware as a replacement for my current email system. Unfortunately, I've come across one problem while testing synchronization.

As per the eGroupware site, I am using groupDAV for synchronization to the server. For the calendar system it works as expected...changes flow between Kontact and the server wonderfully. However, contact information that is supposed to be flowing between Kaddressbook does not appear to work.

For the kaddressbook configuration, I add a new address book using the "standard" source, which opens Akonadi where I can setup the groupdav connector. I put in all the info for the server and account and configure the only folder in the list for synchronization. I also set the sync to happen after 1 minute, but I don't see any settings for caching. The address book gets added and all the contacts are transferred over to kaddressbook as expected.

Now, any time I add a contact in kaddressbook, it seems to go over to the server right away (at least, I can see it in the web interface). If I then tell kaddressbook to resync the source, all the changes (and additions) I made disappear in kaddressbook, but fortunately stay on the server.

Additions and changes made via the eGroupware webpage never make it into kaddressbook. To get what the server has, I have to delete the addressbook and re-add it.

For the client running Kontact, I am testing on a brand new Natty install. The only thing I have done is uncomment all the apt repositories, update and upgrade. I'm not adding anything else and fire up and configure Kontact for email and the groupdav connectors.

On the server, again it's standard Ubuntu Natty server updated and upgraded as the client's install. I've installed LAMP, some extras, eGroupware 1.8 from their repository as directed on their website.

After searching online, I've made some changes to the egw_pear/HTTP/WebDAV/Server.php file in the eGroupware install, including commenting out some headers and changing some variables from "false" to "true". Where others said those fixes worked, for me they didn't.

I'm looking for other suggestions to get this fixed so I can resume my testing.

Re: eGroupware, groupDAV and kaddressbook

You may want to enable the "experimental" repository and download the latest KDE Pim. There are many advancements compared to the version in Natty 10.10 default.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I'm willing to try it, since the client is on a virtual machine...I assume I get kdepim 4.6 with that repository.

For those who don't know where this is (like me before a search), look here:

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.6-beta-2

Note: I had to use "apt-get dist-upgrade" to force kdepim to upgrade.

Comment

This is just way cool.

Keep us WELL informed with a close play by play.

I'd go along with dequire's suggestion about KDEPim, I use all of the suite myself and this is very interesting.

woodsmoke

Comment

This is definitely an improvement. I'm going to remove the changes I made to the egw_pear/HTTP/WebDAV/Server.php file and see if that helps even more.

In the minimal case, the entries are being exchanged. I have seen some changes to existing entries I made on the server web server side not get propagated to Kontact, but new entries created on either side show up on the other as expected. It looks like the reconcile process isn't working right because if I make a change on the server, then change the same field on Kontact, no resolution happens. Again, if I delete the address book and re-add it, then it gets everything like it is on the server.

A bit more testing is needed, but this is now much more promising than before.

Thanks for the suggestion! Now I need to find a groupDAV connector for Outlook that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for non-commercial user.

Comment

So, when I quite Kontact and restart it, the addressbook is empty. I have to delete the resource and re-add it for it to populate. Still testing.

Comment

Also keep in mind that you can ping the KDE PIM user's list and Dev's list to get some more detailed answers than you will likely get here. Good luck and keep us posted.

https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kdepim-users

https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-pim

and, of course you can try IRC as well in #kontact on Freenode.

​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
              X