X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backup file generated, why?

Originally posted by Snowhog
    But, mlocate, just like locate, when executed without sudo, will not find files that the non-sudoed user is not allowed to access. I just tried.
    Things have changed since Jaunty, then - I just tried it too

When I bugged that locate without sudo would give you an "access denied". In my infinite wisdom I decided to chmod mlocate.db which worked - but I did feel like kind of an idiot when the bug was closed
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by tnorris
      It's a configuration option in Kate. You can turn it off under the Kate options open/save->advanced->"Backup on Save". Uncheck the "Local Files" and "Remote Files" check boxes.

The consequences of doing so is you won't have backups of files as you save them.
      Is there a simpler way of doing this that doesn't involve searching for files and creating scripts, can Kate be configured to save the backup file to a different location?
      Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

Originally posted by kri5
        Is there a simpler way of doing this that doesn't involve searching for files and creating scripts, can Kate be configured to save the backup file to a different location?
        Not that I'm aware of. You can do that in vim (my CLI editor of choicce), but I haven't found a way to do it in kate.

It would be nice if you could configure a path in the backup prefix setting in kate, but unfortunately it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
          Not that I'm aware of. You can do that in vim (my CLI editor of choicce), but I haven't found a way to do it in kate.

It would be nice if you could configure a path in the backup prefix setting in kate, but unfortunately it doesn't work.
          I poked around in ~/.kde/share/config/katerc and you can't set it in there either.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
            Originally posted by kri5

What is VIM exactly, you state CLI editor but isn't that as in the Terminal/Konsole?
            Or is it a text editor like Kate?
            Or am i just getting confused?
            Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

vim and nano (among others) are CLI text editors. vim is older and for gray haired guys (ike me ) and nano is somewhat newer and reportedly somewhat easier to use.

If you want to see them in action, open a terminal and type vim or nano. vim commands are not obvious: INSERT to edit, ESC to stop editing, :exit to save and quit, :quit! to quit without saving - the basics.

nano has a command list at the bottom of the screen and uses CRTL- to save and close and such.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X