Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange but Interesting Latency Issue (K-menu)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange but Interesting Latency Issue (K-menu)

I suppose a system using AMD-64 with 6-core CPU and 16GB RAM is considered as fast moreover the disks are 4 way RAID0 & SDD. However whenever I click on some applications from K-menu it is 5 to 6 seconds to open. E.g. Konqueror (file manager) Firefox browser Dolphin etc. Worse when loading bigger applications like Libre Office 3 it may be as long as 12 seconds.

The latency would be a bit better when the same application is closed and re-opened 2nd time, obviously due to disk cache.

My Kubuntu 11.04 kernel is 2.6.38-8-generic x86_64

I am now quite sure it has something to do with either K-menu or silly Nepomuk because this latency is obviously not there when I started the same applications via konsole or shell.

Nepomuk generated a huge (few hundred MB) database in my .kde4/share/apps folder indexing lots of rubbish that did not seem to be helpful to me at all. I highly suspect it for causing this latency.

Can anyone share some light into this?

Thanks

Re: Strange but Interesting Latency Issue (K-menu)

Hi
    Since nobody that is much smarter than myself has answered, I just thought that I'd mention that I've seen several discussions across the net that some people have just turned Nepomuk off. Or strigi, or both or something because it "caused problems" on their desktop.

That might be an option to try.

woodsmoke

Comment

Re: Strange but Interesting Latency Issue (K-menu)

In a Konsole
      sudo service --status-all
      will show you which services are running.

You might want to open a Konsole and keep it "on top" of the other apps. Then, when you get a delay, issue
      dmesg
      and look at the lines near or at the bottom of the list to see what kind of activity is recorded. The messages may give you a clue, or even the cause, or they may not show anything helpful. Paste the last 20 or so lines in your next posting.

Also, you can open a Konsole (keep it on top) and run
      sudo powertop
      (if you don't have it do
      sudo apt-get install powertop
      to get it.)

As it runs watch the interrupt counts and see which ones become dominate when your system pauses.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X