This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail forgets my outgoing password

When I close and restart kmail, my sending password reverts to an old one (I can tell by the number of characters in it). So each time I restart kmail I have to put the correct password in again, even though I've checked "Store SMTP password" in kmail's settings. Is this a bug, or is there just some other setting I need to tweak?

Re: Kmail forgets my outgoing password

I have a similar issue where Kmail forgets the password for OUTGOING mail (never for in-coming) only it doesn't try to use an incorrect password, it doesn't remember any password; and not all of the time.
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

It did that to me with hotmail but that was because live was requesting an encrypted connection. Maybe you should check your providers outgoing mail settings. Just a guess on my part.

Comment

It's probably a kmail bug -- but cannot be reported!

Since others have the same problem on outgoing mail, it's almost certainly a kmail bug. But when I attempted to report it at bugs.kde.org, I got a message to the effect that bug reporting is disabled for this application. On further investigation I learned that kmail is due to be replaced by the akonadi-based kmail2. But kmail2 isn't in the repositories here; it has to be gotten from Bugzilla, it seems.

At least I can work around the bug by reentering my sending password every time I start kmail.

Comment

Re: It's probably a kmail bug -- but cannot be reported!

Originally posted by pwabrahams
          Since others have the same problem on outgoing mail, it's almost certainly a kmail bug. But when I attempted to report it at bugs.kde.org, I got a message to the effect that bug reporting is disabled for this application. On further investigation I learned that kmail is due to be replaced by the akonadi-based kmail2. But kmail2 isn't in the repositories here; it has to be gotten from Bugzilla, it seems.

At least I can work around the bug by reentering my sending password every time I start kmail.
          Have you enabled KWallet service to always have permission with KMail? If this is not set (and your PW in not stored in KWallet) this would prompt you to re-enter the password every time I would think. I can tell you that I've run KMail for a year or so and recently upgraded to KDE PIM 4.6 and KMail 2 (via the Kubuntu Experimental Repository) and no password issues here with either version.

KMail2 is vastly superior to KMail. You might want to check it out...even though in Kubuntu it's in an experimental repository, it's currently on Beta 4, so it's been around a while now. Beta 4 was announced in January IIRC.
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

What is the ppa for the experimental repository?
            Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

kde pim, kwallet, etc.

I've been reluctant to use kwallet because I work on several machines and don't want to have to update wallet information on them individually. Perhaps kwallet really does handle that situation, but I haven't yet been able to look into it. In any event, kmail used to work just fine without kwallet, so this irritating behavior is new.

As to kdepim: that's been a frustration for me because I have a Palm Zire. kpilot used to work just fine with it, but is no longer supported. That's driven me to use jpilot, which as far as I can tell is unable to coordinate with kdepim. So if I want to sync my Palm, I can't use kdepim with it.

Comment

I have the same problem with Kmail in that I have to enter password every time, when I do so I tick the save password option but I still have to enter it the next time round. I've noticed though that when I edit my account it says it's in the process of saving my password to Kwallet.

Obviously this is the problem, for me anyway, as I have disabled Kwallet as I found it to be annoying when connecting to my Wifi. I had my WiFi set to connect automatically, except it wouldn't as I had to enter a password into Kwallet every time, which kind off defeats the object of automatically connecting.

Is there a way of using Kmail without wallet?
                Thunderbird manages quite well without it, or am I just using it wrong?
                Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

Originally posted by kri5
                  Is there a way of using Kmail without wallet?
                  Thunderbird manages quite well without it, or am I just using it wrong?
                  Which version of kmail are you using? kmail1 can save the password in the config file if kwallet is unavailable, but kmail2 might require kwallet to store the password (although I haven't checked)

Comment

Originally posted by kri5
                    What is the ppa for the experimental repository?
                    https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...e/experimental
                    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                    K*Digest Blog
                    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                      Which version of kmail are you using? kmail1 can save the password in the config file if kwallet is unavailable, but kmail2 might require kwallet to store the password (although I haven't checked)
                      Now you come to mention it, I was using Kmail 1 and I don't recall there being a problem but then I was upgraded to Kmail 2 via the experimental ppa. So I guess the problem I'm having with the password is related to Kmail 2 only.
                      Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

kmail doesn't really forget the password

The problem isn't that kmail forgets the password, exactly. It's that kmail reverts to an old password every time it's retarted. I'm pretty sure that I've updated the password correctly through the kmail settings, since it works as long as I'm running the same incarnation of kmail. But when I restart kmail, it goes back to the old one.

Apparently the password is stored in two places, not one, since after I update the password, kmail knows both the old one (since it reverts to it) and the new one (since it's using the new password currently). But where might that be?

The kmail1/kmail2 issues are an extra complication, made worse by the fact that kmail1 isn't being maintained (bug reports not accepted) but kmail2 hasn't officially been included in Kubuntu yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X