This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> tabs, tabs, tabs, huh??? need an explanation

I've been puzzled for several days to see that all of my several LibreOffice windows have in their window captions a series of grayed-out tabs - one for each of the documents, spreadsheets, or whatever, I have open in Libreoffice. I've been searching fruitlessly for some documentation of this new feature on LibreOffice forums, websites, blogs, etc., because at the same time some of the former shortcut-key functionality I use in LibreOffice has disappeared. Just doesn't work, and this isn't helpful. In addition, all I can seem to do with the tabs is click them. No shortcut key access that I can figure out.

And now I'm really weirded out to see exactly the same sort of tabs in Google Chrome, and even in the java-based jEdit editor that I use constantly. I suppose it's been there for a while and I just missed this.

This has to be a Natty thing, I'm thinking, but I've never heard of it, or seen it talked about. I feel like the proverbial guy who was behind the door when the brains were passed out.

Can someone please bring me some peace of mind by telling me what in blazes is going on here? IS this a new Natty feature? Help!

Re: tabs, tabs, tabs, huh need an explanation

I don't see what you are refering to. I launched LibreOffice and selected Open and chose a text document. Can you take a screenshot of what you are seeing?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      I don't see what you are refering to. I launched LibreOffice and selected Open and chose a text document. Can you take a screenshot of what you are seeing?
      Ha! My worst nightmare. Only I see the tabs...

Well, now you too can see them, as I provide screenshots. Also, you may not have seen them because you only opened a single document. For me, then only occur when multiple windows are open in the same program - in the screen shots below they are LibreOffice and Chrome.

A remnder: in the screenshots I provide, the tabs access windows, not tabs (in Chrome) or sheets (in LibreOffice Calc). Unfortunately, their presence disables keyboard shortcut access to multiple window within LibreOffice, AND the tabs can only be accessed by mouse. Since they only duplicate what is already available via stacked window tabs in the taskbar, what value to they add? I don't see any...
      Attached Files

Comment

The feature you see is called window tabbing, it seems you have "automatically group similar windows" enabled, you can disable it in SystemSettings>WindowBehavior>WindowBehavior>Advan ced -tab

It's also possible to completely disable window tabbing (although usually disabling automatic tabbing is quite enough if you don't wish to use the feature) in the settings of the window decorations that support window tabbing (Oxygen, QtCurve).

Comment

Bingo! You nailed it. I'm grateful for your explaining this small disaster, so I could fix it.

This "feature" was nothing but a nuisance for me. It gives me information that already exists in the taskbar, but no means to use it other than the mouse - always the fastest way to do anything on a computer, yes? Hardly.

I'm now back to the interface that just works. Thanks!

Now, if I could just get a response to this problem - my other tabbing issue... http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3116956.0.

Comment

Working...
          X