This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> Problem with disk space

I've reloaded Kubuntu 11.04 three times now, I don't have a problem doing it again it, if needed...
    Here is the problem... I have a 250GB HD with nothing on it but a fresh install of Kubuntu 11.04... I'm typing from it right now... after a few days I get this error message that the disk is full and I need to free up some space...
    I have NO idea whatsoever what could be causing it, but here are some things that NEVER caused a problem in the past but might be doing it now...

KTorrent (Default Settings), VirtualBox (Fixed Storage)

I've ran both these programs for years on Linux machines and NEVER had any problems with space... I deleted all the usual temporary files... that freed up much more space that I expected, but no where near the 200GB that mysteriously becomes used in just a few short weeks...

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks...

Re: Problem with disk space

Take a look at #16 on the "Top 20" in my signature.

Comment

GUI version of the tool, which can show disk space is in Krusader.

Update: When I wondered what filled my disk space, it was always root's trash in /root/.local/share folder. It filled with files deleted with Dolphin from external USB drives under user root.
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
        GUI version of the tool, which can show disk space is in Krusader.

Update: When I wondered what filled my disk space, it was always root's trash in /root/.local/share folder. It filled with files deleted with Dolphin from external USB drives under user root.
        Thanks and...
        I apologise for not saying this earlier... when I use df it says that my home directory is over 200 GB... I don't have anything in it but some open office docs... it's got to be something that's in a hidden (/.something) directory I've looked and haven't figured it out yet...

How would I convert the df command to analyze only the hidden files of my hidden directory (as root, of course)

Comment

I have only GUI solution. Installed Krusader has the red icon for start as a root in System applications folder. When you start it and switch on Display > Show hidden files and then Tools > Disk space, you will get size of all folders including hidden. To find what you are looking for step by step from / or from /home into the biggest folders is easy.

Updated: The second GUI choice is the small program kdirstat from repository, start with Alt+F2.

Comment

One can install the application tree
            Description: displays directory tree, in color
            Displays an indented directory tree, using the same color assignments as
            ls, via the LS_COLORS environment variable.
            With it installed, from the console, you can type:
            Code:
            tree -s -R ~
            and get a visual tree (DOS like) of your users /home dirctory, listing all files and their sizes within every directory, including hidden directories.

If you just want to see what directory(ies) are the largest, type:
            Code:
            tree -s -d -R ~
            tree is a very useful console application.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Solved

Thank U all...

The most dramatic increase was after installing Virtual Box... I know it sounds like that by itself would do it... because it's a huge program within a program within a program... but, it NEVER did that when I ran it under Mepis... Just this time when I tried to run it under Kubuntu...

Oh, and the computer is a VIA Technologies P4M900

So, with all of your wonderful advice I will select the tedious path of re-installing VBox and pick apart the reason why it fills up my 250GB HD (in a hidden home folder) in less than four weeks... VBox is hiding something in there... LOL... Thanks again..

How do I mark this as solved?

Comment

Click modify your first message and modify the header in it.

Comment

Working...
                X