This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] USB starup Disk Creator Problems AFTER creation

OK. Can create an 11.04 USB boot disk (usb) with no problems (using 11.04's version of Boot Disk Creator). However on trying to boot from it I always get the error "BOOT ERROR". No other informative information and no way to get any. What I have noticed is this issue seems to affect machines with new BIOS say 3 years or newer. I took both a 32bit and 64 bit USB boot disk on my desktop (created same as line 1), see sig, and they both give that error. I can take it to an older machine that allows boot from USB and they both work great! (the 64bit actually runs on a PIV HT). Has anybody experienced this and know what is going on? I don't recall this problem on the 64 bit version on my desktop that was created with 10.10 so it seems tied to Kubuntu version but I can't quite grasp what and why newer BIOS machines would be affected.

Re: USB starup Disk Creator Problems AFTER creation

Some more information. Four desktops tested. 3 with BIOS with dates late 2009 to present. None of those will boot with either but they do with a Puppy Linux USB install. The system with the old BIOS (the PIV HT machine) all boot OK. Two laptops with BIOS within the same date range boot fine with any of them. So why the newer Desktops are having issue and only with 11.04 Startup Disk. They boot fin from CDROM by the way so it isn't a 11.04 issue but the way 11.04 is creating the startup disk. Anybody know how to search the BUG site and/or what the url is for that?

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] USB starup Disk Creator Problems AFTER creation

From the Wiki. Odd enough one of the USB sticks is a SAN Disk the other isn't and neither have the U3 but I suspect it may be more to it than that since they do boot on other machines and is only 11.04. I wonder if I use the 10.10 version with an 11.04 image if that would work. Will try later. At least I know they have a problem and it isn't me. :P

Known Issues

Natty Narwhal 11.04 is having issues with USB drives from SanDisk that have U3 Launchpad. You can either use another brand, use u3-tool from Ubuntu Repositories to remove it or SanDisk's U3 Launchpad Removal Tool.
      Edit: Based on reading I don't know if that is the cause of the problem, but it signals to me that there may be more underlying issues but where to find what will be hard so the reason for the SOLVED above. I'll try 10.10 live CD to run the tool there on an 11.04 image and see what I get.

Comment

Working...
      X