X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Odd KDE Problems O_o

Hello All,

I've been having a number of issues since upgrading from Maverick to Natty. Namely:

1.) KMix does not start at log-in (no volume control),

2.) None of the applications (specifically KMix or Kopete) listed in the autostart section (KMenu -> Computer -> System Settings -> Startup & Shutdown -> Autostart) will run at log-in

3.) None of the power options in KMenu (KMenu -> Leave -> Restart, Shutdown, etc.) are responsive - clicking on them does not even bring up the dialog.

4.) CTRL-ALT-DEL has no effect.

5.) KPackageKit is unable to install or update anything - it returns the message, "You have failed to provide correct authentication. Please check any passwords or account settings".

I can still start the applications manually (and have them function normally) and install/update through the terminal. Though, I would rather resolve the above issues.

The nearest situation/solution I could find is a thread in the Arch forum, and I've tried all of the proposals there (including trying - and failing - to figure out how the user/group settings work >_>), short of that in the 16th post (and that, only because I would want to see the Kubuntu/*buntu-specific syntax before doing so) or a complete re-install (which I would really rather not do).

Has anyone else run into the same issues (or some subset thereof)?

What solution(s) would you recommend, and what are the specific steps required to execute said solution(s)?
    Hardware: Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607<br />OS: Kubuntu 11.10 (KDE 4.7.2), Windows Vista Home Premium (SP 2)

Re: Odd KDE Problems O_o

Ctl+Alt+Del won't kill the xserver and throw you back to the login screen unless you set it to do so in
    System Settings --> Input Devices --> Keyboard --> Advanced tab --> Key Sequence to kill the Xserver.

You have too many problems with too many apps. It appears to me that your ISO was defective.

1) Download the Natty iso and check its md5 sum to be sure it is ok.
    2)Burn a new LiveCD at 10X or less. Boot the LiveCD and use the "Check CD" option to verify the burn is good.
    3) Reinstall with the proven LiveCD.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GG, on my machine crtl+alt+del presents me w/ a logout, shutdown, restart box . i think you are mistaken it for ctrl+alt+backspace (that used to restart X).

@StromBringer, i would either use apt-get to install packages to fix your distro or just dl and burn at a slow speed a new install disk. the second option being the easier of the two. if you are worried about data/settings be sure to back up your /home folder (and be sure to get the hidden stuff too for settings)
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
        @GG, on my machine crtl+alt+del presents me w/ a logout, shutdown, restart box . i think you are mistaken it for ctrl+alt+backspace (that used to restart X).
        That is what Ctl+alt+del is configured to do by default, UNLESS he changed the configuration OR his install is defective. Ctl+Alt+Bksp won't do anything either unless one sets it to do something, in the location I mentioned, which I always do. I set it to kill the xserver because that was its normal action before KDE4 made it optional.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          Ctl+Alt+Del won't kill the xserver and throw you back to the login screen unless you set it to do so in
          System Settings --> Input Devices --> Keyboard --> Advanced tab --> Key Sequence to kill the Xserver.

You have too many problems with too many apps. It appears to me that your ISO was defective.

2)Burn a new LiveCD at 10X or less. Boot the LiveCD and use the "Check CD" option to verify the burn is good.
          Well, I've burned (and checked with MD5!) a new Live CD, so I've got that if all else fails... :-/

Originally posted by sithlord48
          @StromBringer, i would either use apt-get to install packages to fix your distro or just dl and burn at a slow speed a new install disk. the second option being the easier of the two. if you are worried about data/settings be sure to back up your /home folder (and be sure to get the hidden stuff too for settings)
          What packages would you recommend?

Alternatively... I noticed that the original CD I used to install (back when Jaunty was new) is still listed in my sources file.

Is there a way to draw those packages from my new CD (as though the CD itself were a repository), and then have it upgrade the files as needed?

(Though, I would imagine that, if so, that would likely have (nearly?) the same effect as going ahead with a complete re-install... >_>)
          Hardware: Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607<br />OS: Kubuntu 11.10 (KDE 4.7.2), Windows Vista Home Premium (SP 2)

Comment

Originally posted by Stormbringer
            Originally posted by GreyGeek

Well, I've burned (and checked with MD5!) a new Live CD, so I've got that if all else fails... :-/
            Checking the ISO with md5sum is required, but so is checking the BURNED CD by using the "Check Contents of CD" on the menu of the LiveCD when you boot it, OR ... Blindside offered the following method for checking a LiveCD after you've burned it but before you remove it from the burner:
            dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=$(( $(stat -c %s karmic-desktop-i386.iso) / 2048)) | md5sum
            where:
            # $() : applies command substitution ie runs the enclosed command and uses the result in its place
            # stat -c %s "filename" : grabs the filesize of "filename" (in this case, the karmic iso image)
            # $(( )) : applies arithmetic substitution ie evaluates the enclosed expression and uses the result in its place
            # Net upshot - the filesize is grabbed, divided by 2048 and plugged in as the 'count'

Comment

KMix does not start at log-in (no volume control)
              Had that a long time ago.

Do ALT+F2 and run kmix, kopete and whatever.

Set Ctrl+alt+backspace to log out (quit x-server) as suggested above.

Make sure your session is to be reproduced at login:
              system settings->start&stop (or similar, mine is in german)->sessions

Log out and back in again, if your kmix, etc starts up you should be okay. also your log out, shut down, restart buttons should be responsive again.

Hope this helps
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

to use the new cd as a repo you should only have to edit the sources and replace "jaunty " with "natty" ( i think i've never done it w/ the cd but this is true for most repos.)

if you want to fix packages i would start w/

sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (if that works)
                sudo dpkg --configure -a (fix broken packages when ur told u have them)

please note that dist-upgrade does not upgrade your distro version just installs all upgradeable packages, (ones held back like kernel will be installed)but since your upgrading from jaunty you might be best to just do a fresh install.
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Odd KDE Problems O_o

Thanks all!

Well, I finally just buckled down and did a fresh re-install (which was a lot more involved than I remember the Jaunty install being...)

Comment

Working...
                  X