This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] KDE 4.6.3 update failure

I tried upgrading to KDE SC 4.6.3 but part way through the actual installation it froze up for an hour on one package (something along the lines of libsmokephonon; I'm guessing the name.) so I had to kill KPackageKit. Now, even though I know it hadn't finished updating half of the 300+ packages it won't show that there are any more updates. I tried using Synaptic (Fix Broken Packages, and Update Packages) but it doesn't know there are any either. Any ideas on how I could fully update?

Re: KDE 4.6.3 update failure

Open a konsole and issue, repeatedly, until no errors come back:

sudo apt-get -f install
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I didn'y get errors from either. Is that good or bad?

Comment

Well, no errors is 'good.' Open a GUI app - Dolphin is good - and click on Help > About KDE. Does it show 4.6.3?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It does say 4.6.3 but like I said it never actually finished updating.

Comment

Likely it did. If Synaptic Fix Broken didn't report anything to 'fix', then the upgrade most probably did finish, even though you think it did not.

Open a console and type:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            If no packages are reported as upgradable, well there you are.

Comment

So, the KpackageKit GUI must have frozen before apt-get and dpkg had finished, and they just kept going in the background.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] KDE 4.6.3 update failure

That's possible. I NEVER do my package management from a GUI. I always do it from the console.

Comment

Maybe I should start doing the same. This sort of thing has happened before when installed major updates or packages such as kde-full. Except in the case of kde-full, it really didn't install everything, it just froze where it was. And I couldn't finish installing it because it said it was already installed! (And I was missing most of the applications that comes with it) And if I attempted to remove it, it would try and remove everything. Literally everything, from apt-get to KDE to the Linux kernel

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    I NEVER do my package management from a GUI. I always do it from the console.
                    I generally do too. But I still got caught out by my system freezing and not knowing what was happening. As this was a large update I repeatedly selected a small group of packages to upgrade, usually applications that I use and also packages that I know what they do. Once I was left with about 50 or so I updated the rest in one go. As this was going to take some time I switched to my web browser and shortly after left the room. On my return the PC seemed to have completely frozen, even the mouse pointer wouldn't move. All attempts to regain control of my PC failed so I forced a reboot using the power switch.

When trying the next update using 'sudo aptitude safe-upgrade' I was prompted to key 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to fix an incomplete package installation. There was an unmet dependency but that was fixed when I next keyed 'sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade'. A further 20 packages were then installed without further problems.

As I couldn't see my terminal window at the point the PC froze I can't say which package caused the freeze.

Comment

KPackageKit told me to issue the 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' command as well when I told it to check for updates again

Comment

Working...
                      X