This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win4Lin Pro/Windows virtualization broken after upgrade

To support a client remotely, I have to run a virtual session of WindowsXP under Kubuntu. I have used Win4Lin Pro for as long as I've used Kubuntu, and have configured it several times, but I'm stumped.

I'm running an Intel Core2 Quad on an Intel board. Somewhere in the last few kernels, KVM stopped working, but I could still open a virtual WinXP machine, and the CPU had plenty of power, so losing hardware features was not a problem. After Natty, I hit a brick wall. Win4Lin Pro wants to compile its own drivers. This now fails with what looks like an error in the C Compiler:

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic-pae/build M=`pwd` modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic-pae'
    CC [M] /tmp/.build_kqemu-1298/kqemu/kqemu-linux.o
    /tmp/.build_kqemu-1298/kqemu/kqemu-linux.c: In function 'kqemu_open':
    /tmp/.build_kqemu-1298/kqemu/kqemu-linux.c:231:5: error: implicit declaration of function 'init_MUTEX'
    /tmp/.build_kqemu-1298/kqemu/kqemu-linux.c: At top level:
    /tmp/.build_kqemu-1298/kqemu/kqemu-linux.c:327:5: error: unknown field 'ioctl' specified in initializer
    /tmp/.build_kqemu-1298/kqemu/kqemu-linux.c:327:5: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type

Previously I could "sudo modprobe kvm_intel" and all was well. Now I get FATAL: Error inserting kvm_intel (/lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic-pae/kernel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm-intel.ko): Operation not supported

I'm at my wit's end. Am I running the right kernel? I see there's a 2.6.38-8-virtual, but I'm not sure what it's for. I've searched for data that would apply, but almost everything I found goes back a few years, and there have been some "changes" made in the system since then. Help!

Re: Win4Lin Pro/Windows virtualization broken after upgrade

win4lin - I didn't realise that was still a live product ...

Can't help you on that I'm afraid but might I suggest using virtualbox instead? free, well supported and very reliable. Also in the repos. I run WinXP VM's using it with no issues.

Comment

It isn't a "live" product, except that it's worked beautifully until now.

I was hoping to avoid the pain of rebuilding the images I use, but c'est la vie

Thanks for the reply. I'm installing virtualbox now.

Comment

The same error for me, under the same conditions - 10.10 version was OK, 11.04 is not. It is a pity, Win4Lin was a very good program.

Comment

Working...
        X