This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype from canonical no microphone

Hi just tried Skype in 32 bit Kubuntu Natty, and no microphone so useless too.
    Tried a number of settings in pulseaudio but no go.
    So yet another reason to go back to Meerkat or Lucid which work with all I have commented on
    on the same machine including skype.
    Regardz
    El Zorro
    It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Re: Skype from canonical no microphone

There's another topic on this same subject that I described how I fix it. For one thing use Phonon. I'll repeat myself , but use search next time:
    I finally was able to get my webcam mic working.

System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon > Device Preference > Audio Capture = Webcam

If you have an internel audio card AND a usb Webcam, you will notice all will be listed
    in the Preference section.

First I moved my webcam to the top through the Prefer button, then Apply. That didn't work.
    Once I closed System Settings then re-opened it again, it reverted back again to the old way.

Then I moved to the Speaker Setup of Phonon. Under Hardware, selected Internal Audio and under Profile I selected OFF. *

Then when I went back to the Audio Capture, the Internel Audio was greyed out. And my webcam was next in line.

Now testing with Skype , it worked!

The Audio Output section of Phonon still had the Internal Audio selected. I played some music through my speakers to be sure. They worked.

This is at best a hack job, and I have no idea if it will work in the future or even in the next install.

Ubuntu Unity is very easy to get Audio Capture to work:
    Sound Preferences > Input > Choose device. then select USB Webcam. Your done.

*[At this point I noticed some message regarding dummy output, and latter when playing music for the first time using Amarok
    It too flashed a message regarding the dummy output. Subsequent use of Amarok didn't reflect any message.]
    Boot Info Script

Comment

No mike in Skype either

I had everything working reasonably well until the Natty upgrade. I tried going into Audio Capture as suggested above, but there was no entry for Webcam (probably because I'm using the built-in webcam on mylaptop). The test call does not play back; however, Audacity shows that the mike is active and reflects the sounds that I make. I'm using Pulseaudio, although I've also tried removing it, with no better results. No matter what I do, the test call does not pick up my voice.

I suppose this will get resolved eventually, but it's a real pain for now.

Comment

Working...
      X