Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

<RESOLVED> KDirStat substitute - recommendations?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<RESOLVED> KDirStat substitute - recommendations?

It appears that KDirStat, a nice file/directory usage analysis utility routine upon which I've depended for years, is gone. No longer in the packages, and I cannot easily find a current binary anywhere. Must be incompatible with something in 11.04.

So... what do folks favor for a quick analysis of disk space usage (so I can find the space hogs and root them out)?\

More specifically, now that I've looked at it, does anyone prefer something more than package baobab (which will meet my needs)?

Re: KDirStat substitute - recommendations?

You want to read KDirStat coming to KDE4. You have to have the packages for compiling installed (sorry, don't remember which ones those are, but others here in KFN do). The instructions for building kdirstat for KDE4 are straight forward.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am using fsview for konquerior, cite from help page:

FSView - the File System View
      Josef Weidendorfer
      Revision 3.5.1 (2006-02-24)
      The FSView Plugin for Konqueror is another view mode for objects of mimetype inode/directory for local files. It can be viewed as an alternative to the various iconviews and listviews for browsing the content of your local file system.
      installable from konq-plugins package

example view

Comment

Molostoff - I don't use konqueror, so I'll pass. Thanks anyway.

Snowhog - that's great news. I don't know how to get Baobab to be a right-click option so it will easily (without command line usage) operate on the pwd, and kdirstat used to do that. Don't know if a manually compiled version will, though. If it doesn't, how can I get it into the right-click menu so it will work like it has up to this point?

Comment

Another option is to run the original program Sequoiaview in wine, it works!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            You want to read KDirStat coming to KDE4. You have to have the packages for compiling installed (sorry, don't remember which ones those are, but others here in KFN do). The instructions for building kdirstat for KDE4 are straight forward.
            OK finally got to this. but have a problem.

1. per http://grumpypenguin.org/index.php?/...g-to-KDE4.html, I issued
            Code:
            git clone [url]http://grumpypenguin.org/~josh/kdirstat.git[/url]
            without a problem.
            Code:
            Cloning into kdirstat...
            tomc@LDT:~$
            2. then, this:
            Code:
            tomc@LDT:~/kdirstat$ mkdir build
            tomc@LDT:~/kdirstat$ cd build
            tomc@LDT:~/kdirstat/build$ cmake ..
            I needed to install cmake, and did. It then appeared to run OK (I think - at least my computer didn't implode, so...)

3. then, the problem:
            Code:
            tomc@LDT:~/kdirstat/build$ sudo make install
            make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
            tomc@LDT:~/kdirstat/build$
            I have NO idea what's wrong, and without help I'm finished at this point.

I just cannot find a substitute for kdirstat, sadly. Baobab keeps insisting that I rerun its analysis because it's reacting to minute changes in my home dir that are OS stuff, over which I have no control. Makes it not useful. Kdirstat it has to be.

My whole terminal output may be seen at http://pastie.org/1855747

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd
              My whole terminal output may be seen at http://pastie.org/1855747
              Were there any errors from cmake (once you ran it after installing it), your link doesn't have cmake output?

Comment

You need to run make prior make install.
                Code:
                cd build
                cmake ..
                make
                sudo make install
                Attached Files
                ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuku
                  That's the usual three step compilation, but the install instructions don't mention make (of course that might well be a mistake in the instructions)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                    That's the usual three step compilation, but the install instructions don't mention make (of course that might well be a mistake in the instructions)
                    Weird! KDirStat was there in 10.10...
                    I got the following when I followed the instructions:
                    Code:
                    patti@dv7t-Kubuntu64:~/Documents/kdirstat/kdirstat/build$ cmake ..
                    CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:98 (MESSAGE):
                     ERROR: cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake not found in
                     /home/patti/.kde/share/apps;/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/apps;/usr/share/kde4/apps
                    Call Stack (most recent call first):
                     CMakeLists.txt:5 (find_package)

CMake Warning (dev) in CMakeLists.txt:
                     No cmake_minimum_required command is present. A line of code such as

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)

should be added at the top of the file. The version specified may be lower
                     if you wish to support older CMake versions for this project. For more
                     information run "cmake --help-policy CMP0000".
                    This warning is for project developers. Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
                    patti@dv7t-Kubuntu64:~/Documents/kdirstat/kdirstat/build$ 
                    patti@dv7t-Kubuntu64:~/Documents/kdirstat/kdirstat/build$ 
                    patti@dv7t-Kubuntu64:~/Documents/kdirstat/kdirstat/build$ make
                    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Comment

In 10.10, kdirstat is the old kde3 version, so it won't be in Natty and further iirc

Anyone no one tried out Filelight?

Comment

claydoh - that's a great recommendation. It's flexible, highly informative, and looks like it well could substitute for KDirStat. By far the best candidate for this I've see so far.

-----

UPDATE: This a fully acceptable substitute, I find. Problem solved. Thanks for the recommendation!

Comment

Re: &lt;RESOLVED&gt; KDirStat substitute - recommendations?

just created deb package for kdirstat, you can dl it here:
                          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16223945/kdi...011-1_i386.deb

Please test it and let me know how it goes
                          ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Please test it and let me know how it goes
                            Interesting program - seems to be running well in my pre-alpha Kubuntu 11.10.

Comment

ubuntuki - this is gorgeous, and I'm delighted to have kdirstat back. So far, it runs just fine on my fully updated 11.04. Better than ever, in fact (old version was a bit daffy at times).

I hope we'll have access to this for the foreseeable future. What are your plans for it?

Thanks again - am very grateful!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X