This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Java on Fresh 11.04 64bit Install

I am new to Kubuntu so I could use a little help getting my new install working. I came from Ubuntu but switched due to Unity. My problem is that I cannot get Java to work/install. I installed the restricted add-ons successfully but when I go to a site that requires Java, Firefox says I need to install it then it fails.

Re: Java on Fresh 11.04 64bit Install

Welcome and glad that you have moved to Kubuntu . I have on my list of things to install sun-Java6. I hope this solves your problem and that you enjoy using Kubuntu.

Comment

If you're using Sun Java, install it from the command line. There's a license that needs to be accepted and I have found the KPackagekit doesn't handle it.

Comment

If you use Synaptic for installing software, it gives the messages that seek approval for Java, Microsoft fonts and Adobe Reader.

Overall I find it much easier and more informative to use than the command line. For example, I have been doing a number of installs of late. With Synaptic, after I mark all the packages to be installed, which in the last one that I did, involved about 1GB of installed software, I then apply. I then go and do something else while the computer is doing the work and just come back to click on the approval prompts.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Java on Fresh 11.04 64bit Install

Thank you to everyone who commented. I did end up installing via command line. That partially helped. I then when in the package management app and noticed that the java browser plug-in was not installed so I installed that and now everything is working perfectly. Thanks again and I must say I am glad I switched to Kubuntu.

Comment

Uh, what java package should I install? There are a lot to choose from.
            'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Personally I'm happy with the icedtea variety.

Comment

Working...
              X