This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Shutdown is very slow in comparison to Ubuntu

Well the subject states the problem : =)

Re: Kubuntu Shutdown is very slow in comparison to Ubuntu

Without your hardware specs, and version of KDE, the subject isn't enough. :P
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Dammit : )
      4.6.2 is the KDE version (so the default one shipped with natty)
      and this is my killer machine HP Compaq 6720s Notebook PC

I have to mention that it is not incredible slow but it takes around 1 minute where gnome/ubuntu shuts down in around 15 secs. It is a little bit annoying

Comment

Are you trying to shut down via the power button? If so, what happens if you right click on the desktop, select leave and then the shutdown option?

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
          Are you trying to shut down via the power button? If so, what happens if you right click on the desktop, select leave and then the shutdown option?
          However if I use the power button its a little bit slower (and I had to switch from "Display Shutdown options" to "shut down", the first did not work at all)

Cheers

Comment

To put this into perspective, on my 5+years old inspiron 630m from the right-click menu takes between 6 and 8 seconds (if I use the power button it seems to take 10 seconds to think about it). I'm using kde 4.7.0

That could suggest that the system is waiting for something to shut down.

Simplest thing first

Hit Ctrl+esc which will set out a list of processes that have been loaded. Alternatively from a terminal run the command

Code:
            which will do something similar.

Are any of the following running.......
            nepomuk and/or virtuoso - these are the semantic desktop components which, if running, might slow down your shutdown. Some people consider this to be an unnecessary resource hog

Akonadi - this is a server that if you don't use the KDE Pim (Kontact/korganizer etc) you shouldn't need.

These can be disabled should you so desire. If you need to know how let us know.

Alternatively the system might be saving your session. Go into system settings /session manager. I believe the default setup is to start with the last session. You can check the option "start with an empty session" and then reboot.

Having said all that........

It is worth pointing out that your version of KDE is a few versions out of date. I'm not for one moment suggesting you go to 4.7.0 but think you may well benefit from upgrading to 4.6.5. For a how-to see here

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-release-4.6.5

You might find that this in itself fixes your problem.

Comment

Hi,
              I was wrong with my statement about the left click shutdown. This one is around 15secs. However I would like to shutdown my laptop with the power off button. This takes around 1 minute.
              There is no change to that after the KDE update to 4.6.5
              Since you pointed out this difference I guess its a common bug?

Thus I conclude that the system is not waiting for something to shutdown.

Cheers and Thanks for the long explanation.

Comment

1 minute is too long, way too long.

You may think this weird but I still think it is waiting for something and, from memory, think it might be trying, and failing, to play a shutdown sound.

I'm at a win box right now and can't be 100% about this but if you go start/system settings notifications you can select the sounds that go with events. Select KDE and against the shutdown/logout box uncheck "play a sound".

Select apply then navigate back to the desktop and try to shut down.

Comment

kubuntu startup and shutdown has always been slower than ubuntu.
                  for the shutdown: ubuntu 3 seconds, ubuntu 8 seconds.
                  but 1 minute is seriously tooooooo long.
                  asus A52N
                  Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
                  AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
                  windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Hi guys,
                    thanks for the kind and good answers, but after some research I found the bug already mentioned on the tracker of KDE.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=265405

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X