X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem after update to KDE 4.7

Hi Guys

I'm having the same kind of problem.

I was trying to upgrade to KDE 4.7 via Kpackage, but it crashed while applying the settings/installing the new stuff.

Problem is, I can't even try to do anything in my Linux.
    After rebooting, I go directly to MEMTEST

I'm using a LIVECD now, but I dont know how to continue the updating or what should I do now.

Please, help me!!!!

Thanks!

Comment

By the way, I reinstalled GRUB2, and it identified all my partitions and system. (Kubuntu and Windows XP).
      Still not working.

Is there a way for me to install the packages from my live-cd?

Comment

Anybody?
        Please?

Comment

Depending how you partitioned your disk (like a separate /home partition) you can simply reinstall the whole thing from the Live CD.
          Just make sure you do NOT select formatting of the partition where your /home is.
          This will leave your present settings and documents in tact while it does set up a fresh install.

Comment

Hi geneiros,
            thank you for your advice, I tried but so far no success. Any other ideas?
            Kind regards.
            Lombard
            Originally posted by geneiros
            Hi lombard17,

i manage to login by selecting failsafe session in login screen...it is in the blue arrow , click it and select failsafe session....

login, and when in kde desktop goto settings, and select desktop effects, and disable effects, or change from opengl to xrender in advanced tab...

maybe this can help you....

Originally posted by lombard17
            Hi,
            I have the same problem that geneiros after installing kde 4.7 to NN 11.04. I do not know how to deactivate "OpenGL". Can anyone help me please; and be patient with me, almost as old as Mr. GreyGeek (but not as photogenic!).
            Thank you.
            Lombard

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
              Depending how you partitioned your disk (like a separate /home partition) you can simply reinstall the whole thing from the Live CD.
              Just make sure you do NOT select formatting of the partition where your /home is.
              This will leave your present settings and documents in tact while it does set up a fresh install.
              Thanks for you help.
              I did that, reinstalled everything (my /home is on another partition), and then ran the apt-get upgrade.

Everything's running now.

Tks

Comment

I had this problem with my upgrade to KDE 4.7 (and 4.6, 4.5, 4.4 etc. seriously) and I am am about to have it on my netbook I'm currently upgrading. The Kubuntu team removes KDE every version it seems.

The easy way to fix this is to reboot your computer and press the "ESC" key to get to GRUB's menu and boot into "recovery mode" of you most current kernel. Use the "dpkg fix packages" option and let it do it's thing. When you next boot up to the KDM login screen, go to "session" at the bottom of the screen and choose "KDE workspace".

After this all should be good. If not let me know, I have lots of tips for this. I haven't reinstalled since around KDE4.0 was released and I used the kubuntu beta ppa for a year or so. This has happend to me lots and I've never had any data loss so don't panic and wipe everything out it's not that bad.

Comment

Working...
                X