X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem after update to KDE 4.7

hi there...

i updated my kubuntu 11.04 to version 4.7 of kde and now i cant login...

i enter login, password... ksplash starts up and after a while come back to login...

and now what should be done...?

Re: Problem after update to KDE 4.7

Was upgrade complete? Try boot to recovery mode and " sudo apt-get update" and repeat "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" until no package to upgrade.
    Kubuntu 12.04 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by Poborskiii
      Was upgrade complete? Try boot to recovery mode and " sudo apt-get update" and repeat "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" until no package to upgrade.
      I'm having exactly the same problem as geneiros, though only on one of three systems. Trying the quoted advice above did not work for me. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thankfully this happened on the one computer that is not critical for me. :P

Comment

I had a few problems on one machine and I did a "sudo dpkg --configure -a" followed by "sudo apt-get install -f". After removing unneeded packages I then followed this by the above steps of update and dist-upgrade.

I am sorry that I cannot think of anything else to fix your problem.

Comment

I started the update through Muon and it hung at 49%
          After killing Muon and trying sudo apt-get update I was informed of two stale lock files to delete.

Next came the suggestion to run sudo dpkg --configure -a.
          And finally I could complete the upgrade with sudo apt-get dist-ugrade.

The joys of being an early adapter

An hour later the next upgrade to another install went without a hitch.

Comment

Found that after deactivating OpenGL effects, I can login....

Maybe its because OpenGL es 2.0?

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
              I started the update through Muon and it hung at 49%..
              I had the exact same problem, but it hung at 69% for me. I take it that killing it, then updating/upgrading through the konsole caused any issues to clear up? Good, I dont' feel to bad about killing muon anymore
              Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Yes by following the suggestions from apt-get all came out fine. 8)
                For me it was the first time ever I had to deal with a lock in /var/cache/apt/archives

But stopping say a kernel or grub upgrade half way through might not be so easy to recover.

Comment

Teunis, what I did was somewhat similar, though slightly different:

I killed muon, then ran 'apt-get update' to find the first lock issue. I fixed that with 'sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock'. After that, I ran the updater again, and after that ran 'sudo dpgk --configure -a' to fix the packages. I did 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' to finish it, and found another package lock, and 'sudo rm /var/cahce/apt/archives/lock' fixed that. I ran the update and dist-upgrade a last time, and it finished. I then finished with a final dpgk --configure -a to ensure nothing was broken.

Of course, when I logged out, things went goofy, so I rebooted and it fixed itself. They went goofy as in, KDM suddenely died, and I forgot how to restart X. So I just rebooted, and everything is great on 4.7 8)
                  Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

I had the exact same problem, but it hung at 69% for me. I take it that killing it, then updating/upgrading through the konsole caused any issues to clear up? Good, I dont' feel to bad about killing muon anymore
                    Similar experience here, muon hung partway through (I don't remember exactly how much percent). I deleted the apt lock file and finished the upgrade from the command line.

Comment

My update went bad too, it crashed.
                      After reboot and dpkg --confiigure -a and such, I was able to login, but no KDE working. I can only work with ALT+F2.

The major problem, is that I can enable my wireless connection, to get the missing packages.
                      Is there a way do download them and put them on a USB drive, and tell Kubuntu to get them there??

Thanks

Comment

Theoreticaly you could download them via a different computer and install form the .deb's.
                        But as there are around 200 packages it's no trivial task to find and collect them.

Providing setting up your wireless connection is the only thing in your way of continuing the upgrade you should be fine.
                        Configuring wireless from the command line is not difficult:
                        http://crunchbang.org/archives/2007/...-command-line/
                        The same with more words:
                        http://www.stoltenow.com/archives/20..._configur.html

Comment

Hi,
                          I have the same problem that geneiros after installing kde 4.7 to NN 11.04. I do not know how to deactivate "OpenGL". Can anyone help me please; and be patient with me, almost as old as Mr. GreyGeek (but not as photogenic!).
                          Thank you.
                          Lombard

Comment

Hi lombard17,

i manage to login by selecting failsafe session in login screen...it is in the blue arrow , click it and select failsafe session....

login, and when in kde desktop goto settings, and select desktop effects, and disable effects, or change from opengl to xrender in advanced tab...

maybe this can help you....

Originally posted by lombard17
                            Hi,
                            I have the same problem that geneiros after installing kde 4.7 to NN 11.04. I do not know how to deactivate "OpenGL". Can anyone help me please; and be patient with me, almost as old as Mr. GreyGeek (but not as photogenic!).
                            Thank you.
                            Lombard

Comment

Hi

My problem was solved after connecting th PC by Lan Cable. In this way I could download the missing packages and all went well.
                              It's up and running.

Comment

Working...
                              X