Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Font fuzzy, graphics terrible overall.

I checked the manual myself - refresh rate is 60Hz but max resolution over the VGA port is 1360x768.

Monitor also supports 640x480, 800x800, 1024x768 and 1280x768.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
      I checked the manual myself - refresh rate is 60Hz but max resolution over the VGA port is 1360x768.

Monitor also supports 640x480, 800x800, 1024x768 and 1280x768.
      I initially installed it on HDMI. Forgive me if I failed ot mention that in the OP. Like I said, though, when I get home later tonight, I am going to try the VGA and res. I have a sinking feeling the VGA will cure the problem though....

Comment

It probably will

Good luck -

edit: I wonder if the extended EDID information coming in over HDMI is what's causing the problem?
        -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000

edit: I wonder if the extended EDID information coming in over HDMI is what's causing the problem?
          I don't know much about displays of any sort aside from the basics, but it would appear that you may be correct. I did a cursory glance on the Wiki for EDID (I've never heard of it before) and it would seem that my TV is too much of a piece of crap (for me, of course. And definitely in my opinion). I'm sure higher end TV's have no problem. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a market for HTPC's.... In my defense, this little TV was my first foray into the modern age with flat screen LCD's. It was hella cheap and it's old.

Comment

Originally posted by hooah212002
            I don't know much about displays of any sort aside from the basics, but it would appear that you may be correct. I did a cursory glance on the Wiki for EDID (I've never heard of it before) and it would seem that my TV is too much of a piece of crap (for me, of course. And definitely in my opinion). I'm sure higher end TV's have no problem. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a market for HTPC's.... In my defense, this little TV was my first foray into the modern age with flat screen LCD's. It was hella cheap and it's old.
            EDID is how a monitor tells another device what resolutions and refresh rates it supports. Extended EDID (E-EDID), which should only be passed over HDMI adds some additional information like how many audio channels the device supports.

My guess is the TV is sending information over HDMI that the PC doesn't understand. I'll bet the thing lights right up if you do your video over VGA.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Well well well, whaddya know.It looks 10 times better using VGA and is at the right resolution.

Comment

The other gotcha is the fact that DRM will deliberately muck up the resolution, especially over the HDMI input. DRM is also found in some DVI ports,too.

I have used a Samsung HLN5065 50" DLP with no problem on the VGA port. I have a choice between using the DVI port on the SIR 360 HDTV DirecTV and OTA tuner, but I get perfectly good results with the tuner in the media PC and 5.1 sound though the Denon audio receiver, which uses the VGA port at 1280x768 resolution.
                Windows: A Sixty Four bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can&#39;t stand one bit of competition.&quot;<br /><br /><br />Veni Vidi Velcro :&nbsp; I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

Working...
                X