This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange external drive problem [SOLVED]

I have a 500GB 2.5" drive with one NTFS and one ext2 partition.
    Two days ago I could suddenly no longer access the ext2 partition, Dolphin returned the message 'Folder not available' (or such).
    I ran e2fsck on it but no problems were found and I could still not access the partition.
    Yet it would mount and unmount without a problem.

After a nights sleep I decided to fire up Krusader in root mode and, behold, all data was still there!
    Something caused the whole partition to belong to root instead of owner Teunis.
    After I changed it back all was well.

I can't possibly figure out what could have caused this glitch but would like to warn against hasty reformats. :P

Re: Strange external drive problem [SOLVED]

The default arrangement for Linux, except for USB connections, is that root owns hard drives. USB connected drives are a bit different, apparently. The path of least resistance, in my experience upon installing a new hard drive, is to (as root) make data folders on it, and set the permissions for the users on the folders. Then you can mount the partition in /etc/fstab and the users can have their way with the data folders, and not have the ability to bork up the device itself.

Comment

Re: Strange external drive problem [SOLVED]

Originally posted by dibl
      The default arrangement for Linux, except for USB connections, is that root owns hard drives. USB connected drives are a bit different, apparently. The path of least resistance, in my experience upon installing a new hard drive, is to (as root) make data folders on it, and set the permissions for the users on the folders. Then you can mount the partition in /etc/fstab and the users can have their way with the data folders, and not have the ability to bork up the device itself.
      Or create an fstab entry and a mount point and assign the drive to your UID.
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
      X